• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Burst Pic of the Week: 59 Stinger Burst, employee guitar?

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Joined
Aug 2, 2001
Messages
42,567
Here's a couple of beautiful shots of the 59 Gruhn had a short while back. These are from Vic DaPra and as usual, they are stunning. This guitar has a stinger and no serial number, and is suspected of being an employee guitar.

917_p56075.jpg


917_p56076.jpg



Thanks Vic!
:dude
 

lew81

New member
Joined
Feb 7, 2006
Messages
536
Beautiful. What does Stinger mean? And employee guitar??? Cheers.
 

58burst

Active member
Joined
May 11, 2002
Messages
2,170
I handled a darkburst with a stinger back in the early eighties- The only other one than this I've heard of.

Are there many more?
 

DANELECTRO

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 24, 2003
Messages
6,162
lew81 said:
Beautiful. What does Stinger mean? And employee guitar??? Cheers.

The back of the headstock face is painted black and forms a point which is the result of the contour of the neck. It is said that that this was done to hide flaws in the grain of the wood. That has always sounded like a bogus explaination to me. Stingers were painted on L5s and Super 400s long before Les Pauls were around. I suspect it was done simply because somebody thought it looked good.

59stingergruhn9bv.jpg
 
B

Banker

Guest
Wow, it looks much flamier in Vic's pictures. Handsome guitar.
 

lew81

New member
Joined
Feb 7, 2006
Messages
536
DANELECTRO said:
The back of the headstock face is painted black and forms a point which is the result of the contour of the neck. It is said that that this was done to hide flaws in the grain of the wood. That has always sounded like a bogus explaination to me. Stingers were painted on L5s and Super 400s long before Les Pauls were around. I suspect it was done simply because somebody thought it looked good.

And what's an employee guitar???

Thanks.
 

Joe Ganzler

New member
Joined
Jul 18, 2001
Messages
6,911
heinz57 said:
Vic DEFINITELY has photography skills !!!


No shit! Hard to believe it's the same guitar! Kinda like Gladys on the Gruhn website:
1904_p56086.jpg


And then photographed by my pal Jim Gentry:
1904_p39552.jpg


When George figures out that he should have a pro do his Burst shots, he'll MAKE 25-50% MORE on each one. . . :ahem
 

Dishimyuh

Active member
Joined
Nov 4, 2005
Messages
1,186
Could the "stinger" have been the result of a headstock repair possibly?
 

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Joined
Aug 2, 2001
Messages
42,567
Dishimyuh said:
Could the "stinger" have been the result of a headstock repair possibly?

There seems to be no evidence of a repair.
As stated, Gibson had used that for years before, on high end archtops, probably as a decorative thing.
 

holygrail

Les Paul Froum Member
Joined
Sep 17, 2004
Messages
1,715
TW59 said:
As stated, Gibson had used that for years before, on high end archtops, probably as a decorative thing.

My Johnny Smith has it. :)
 

burstone

Active member
Joined
Apr 5, 2002
Messages
6,736
A '63 SG that I used to own had the stinger too. It was very cool.
 

gmann

Active member
Joined
May 26, 2003
Messages
5,813
holygrail said:
My Johnny Smith has it. :)
It's common on the upper end jazz type guitars, L5's, Super 400's, Byrdlands etc....My '50 ES5N as well as every ES5 I've seen for that matter have 'em. My '59 cherry Jr. has it with a white, now yellowed, ser. #.
 
Top