The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

G String Choking at 12 Fret and Up

Hey guys, i have a custom shop VOS reissue of a 1957 Goldtop. have had it for a few years and never experienced this problem.

just changed strings and can't figure out why my g string is choking out when trying to bend it from the 12 fret and up. does start to choke out until i bend up to a whole step or more. no other string is doing this and i have adjusted the saddle height a few times and still getting the same thing happening.

any ideas?

All Access/Backstage Pass Wilko's Avatar

Re: G String Choking at 12 Fret and Up

no other string has to pull over the "hump".

Quote Originally Posted by Wilko View Post
    no other string has to pull over the "hump".
    you think its a fret issue?

Les Paul Forum Member

Could be your neck moved and needs an adjustment to add some relief , if you know how to do this fine , if not take it to a good tech

Quote Originally Posted by El Gringo View Post
    Could be your neck moved and needs an adjustment to add some relief , if you know how to do this fine , if not take it to a good tech
    i know how to adjust the neck and i did do it. i also put a heavier gauge string on this time. but i am not sure if i am adjusting correctly. i made the neck straighter but now i am getting some buzzing on the top frets by the nut. I've never been great at figuring out where I'm supposed to adjust the neck too.

its also stranger that the other strings aren't getting choked out though.

Might be because your bridge radius is too flat relative to the fretboard. Bridge collapse would make that happen. Do you use heavy-gauge strings?

Les Paul Forum Member

Maybe try adjusting the thumbwheels on the ABR-1 bridge or if its the Nashville that same adjustment on the thumbwheels to get rid of that buzzing or choke

Did you try to change the string?

Quote Originally Posted by randomdude84 View Post
    i know how to adjust the neck and i did do it. i also put a heavier gauge string on this time. but i am not sure if i am adjusting correctly. i made the neck straighter but now i am getting some buzzing on the top frets by the nut. I've never been great at figuring out where I'm supposed to adjust the neck too.

its also stranger that the other strings aren't getting choked out though.
    No, it seems you do not know how to adjust the neck or guitar. You know how to turn a bolt or screw but not why.

Take it to a competent tech.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    No, it seems you do not know how to adjust the neck or guitar. You know how to turn a bolt or screw but not why.

Love this advice.

If you knew how to adjust the neck, and you "did do it" it shouldn't be having a problem.

It could be as simple as a collapsed ABR1, poor setup, or something more involved like a heel rise or fretboard hump. Without seeing the guitar, it's hard to diagnose.
    Les Paul Forum Founder

“It is only through inner peace that we can have true outer freedom.” — Sri Chinmoy

Quote Originally Posted by poor man's burst View Post
    Did you try to change the string?
    i changed from 10's to 11's and i am positive this threw something off because i have played with 10's and never had a problem changing strings.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post

appreciate the honesty. i must clarify that i do understand what neck bow and relief are and which way to adjust to achiever one vs the other. i also have a gauge set to measure but have never felt confident that I'm adjusting as well as i could be. but i agree, i think i will take it somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Cream Fan View Post
    Might be because your bridge radius is too flat relative to the fretboard. Bridge collapse would make that happen. Do you use heavy-gauge strings?
    yes, i just switched from 10's to 11's

Love this advice.

If you knew how to adjust the neck, and you "did do it" it shouldn't be having a problem.
    but would a neck adjustment actually be creating this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by randomdude84 View Post

but would a neck adjustment actually be creating this problem?
    Neck adjusting can certainly make this type of problem worse. Too much relief usually.

Les Paul Forum Member

Neck relief has little effect much above the 12th fret. Fretting or playing the 12th fret root? I'd pop a a new string in it to start with, could be a dud.
    53 LP, 74 Black Beauty, 09 50th R9 LP, 06 R6, 63 SG Special, 62 & 64 SG juniors, 60 Double Six, 1947 L7 and 1937-41 L30 archtops and a few Fenders, Voxs and Hagstroms,

"]i changed from 10's to 11's and i am positive this threw something off because i have played with 10's and never had a problem changing strings."

I got that you changed the string set and went from 10s to 11s.

As your problem is only with the G string, it could be that it comes from the G string alone, which could be deffective, either having been damaged by some kind of mishandling or that came that way, even being new. Deffective new strings definitly happen.

It doesn't cost much neither takes a long time to begin with checking this.
    Last edited by poor man's burst; 10-26-19 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwedge View Post
    Neck relief has little effect much above the 12th fret. Fretting or playing the 12th fret root? I'd pop a a new string in it to start with, could be a dud.

Actually, it can have more effect higher up the neck. as this exagerated graphic shows:

of course, just changing string guage usually just makes the action a tad higher (if anything). lowering the bridge can lead to the above effect to some degree if there is added relief.

Les Paul Forum Member

I suppose a bit of movement is possible but with a Les Paul's neck glued in at the 16th fret and getting quite thick around the 14th it doesn't seem to change much in this area, at least in mine. Sounds like he's bending on the 14th fret to me and the fret out would be up higher on the neck.
    53 LP, 74 Black Beauty, 09 50th R9 LP, 06 R6, 63 SG Special, 62 & 64 SG juniors, 60 Double Six, 1947 L7 and 1937-41 L30 archtops and a few Fenders, Voxs and Hagstroms,

I suppose a bit of movement is possible but with a Les Paul's neck glued in at the 16th fret and getting quite thick around the 14th it doesn't seem to change much in this area, at least in mine. Sounds like he's bending on the 14th fret to me and the fret out would be up higher on the neck.
    see the graphic. Of course the fretboard isnt bending there. The change in geometry makes the angle bad in the upper areas.

Les Paul Forum Member

see the graphic. Of course the fretboard isnt bending there. The change in geometry makes the angle bad in the upper areas.
    Ah, I think I see it now! As the truss rod is tightened the neck levels out in the middle but the nut drops some in relationship to the bridge, creating less clearance past the 12th fret. Is that right? In that case you would raise the bridge some to compensate.

Thanks!

Les Paul Forum Member

randomdude84: go back to basics. I don't have the luxury of a humidity controlled environment and when the weather changes for the worse (cold and wet) my guitars change a little too so a tiny amount of tweaking is required to make them and me happy again. Your problme may be a coincidental one with new, thicker strings and colde, wetter weather. You put a slightly heavier gauge of strings on and noticed this new problem. This is good news; if you had a hump in the neck post 12th fret then this would have also been an issue with the lighter strings, assuming your action set-up was about the same, so it may just be a relief issue and the G string is picking this up due to a rogue fret or two. A hump, if present would be expected a little further up the neck at around 16 and above.

Go look up guitar set-up on YouTube; there are dozens of good videos showing you exactly what to do; do not be scared, this is not rocket science. Make truss rod adjustments in small increments and wait to see what happens. My guitars all react immediately.

Take a peek at your G string saddle notch. Does it look deeper than the adjacent strings' ones? It's possible that the G string is relatively lower than the others due to a bad notch but unlikely as you didn't observe this issue with the lighter gauge strings.

Why did you make the move to thicker strings? If it hasn't made a significant difference to your tone/playability/whatever maybe you should go back to your original gauges and hopefully all will be well again.

Good luck

Les Paul Forum Member

Ah, I think I see it now! As the truss rod is tightened the neck levels out in the middle but the nut drops some in relationship to the bridge, creating less clearance past the 12th fret. Is that right? In that case you would raise the bridge some to compensate.

Thanks!
    If there's too much relief and the bridge is raised to "compensate" the guitar will be a bitch to play and will still buzz/choke up high at "normal" action. The correct thing to do is to straighten the neck with only very light relief then adjust the bridge to the preferred action. If there is still excessive buzzing/choking then it's likely that a fret leveling is required.