• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

R0 Vs G0?

Dperalta

Ok, so as the proud owner of quite a few Gibson USA guitars, I have decided that my next guitar will likely be a Custom Shop. While I would still like to spend some time with an R9 or two, I am leaning towards an R0 as I like the necks on my Classics and I really enjoyed the guitar I played yesterday at Guitar Center. My main question is, what are the main differences between the Standard Historic 1960 for $6499 and this,1960-Les-Paul-Figured-Top-Reissue-Electric-Guitar-PG-129.gc, for $4495? I spent an hour playing the one at Guitar Center and I was floored. Awesome guitar. It's not so much about the price, I just don't want to realize that I made a terrible mistake if I by accident come home with this thing tomorrow.

David

Big Al

Basicly they are the same with the GO having a less figured top and would be similar to a R8 in that respect. I didn't look at the back for a serial number but in the past GO's did not conform to the vintage 50's number scheme like 0 xxxx and instead had a G0 xxx. Not a big deal but some people do want that vintage type number.

The GO is made for Guitar Center and has been quite popular. I would imagine the R0 would have a much more intense and dramatic maple top and I'm sure color is an issue as they both most likely have different bursts? You are not giving up any important feature with the better priced G0, just top wood and maybe serial number, (which may not even be an issue). I do tend to like the darker Bursts and find that particular G0 to be very pretty, IMO and I like the subdued tops. Top figure can be VERY important for some folks, so if you really are jonsing for some Flame Maple you might want to make sure you are OK with the subdued top.

Dperalta

Thanks for the reply.
The actually Guitar here in Tampa has a nice flame, but not over the top. I actually prefer a more subtle, complex figuring anyway.

David

deytookerjaabs

Feeling a little insecure about your top??

Don't worry there fella.

I got you covered. Deytookerjaab's custom Les Paul form fitted vinyl top wraps. I got everything you could want, I got solid colors; all of them, I got big flames, I got little flames, streaks, no streaks, blue burst red burst green burst, anything you can think of I'll wrap it for ya. Every top design in BOTB I got, just pick a page and link me on instagram.

Installation is simple: remove your parts, get a hair dryer, and shrink that top on there for good. My tops will fix any shame you feel for your Les Paul. In fact, the only thing my tops won't fix is a broken marriage.

Send payment now to:

Arlo Virgil Vacation Fund
PO BOX 444
Bunker Hill IN 46914

If you need any verification of how my tops are built and where, let me assure they're the best in the business.

Not satisfied with my tops? Go pound sand!!!

:salude

Analoga1p

Most G0’s are R0’s in the cavity of most of them they are stamped R0. Nice guitars

1jamman

As an R0 Lover , I'll put in my 2 cents . From a quick look at the link you posted , That guitar , from the serial number, is a 2014 made Gibson (For GC). So, some build specs have been upgraded/updated since it was made . IMO , not as important as if That guitar works for you ....
It has all the important upgrades ,imo . What it lacks are New type plastics , Hide glued on Maple Top , possibly different frets (smaller) on the new 2018 models (depends on how it was made) and some smaller things . But nothing imo that makes it (2018) stand out as far better or worse .

Specs are 1 thing , but how it plays ,sounds ,feels for you is the end all ....
If getting the newest specs are important to you, the Newer model at the higher price is where you need to look .
A good guitar is a good guitar . No mater when it was made .... price has nothing to do with that . The GC guitar is at a discount, because it's a 2014 .

Looking at de-valuations of NEW guitars , in 1 light, paying less means, if you want or need to sell it down the road , you have a better chance of getting you $$$ back from a lessor priced 4 year old NEW guitar then a current model year New guitar ....
The MAP price (for the 2018) you quoted is full on retail and many get better prices when shopping around for a deal . I'd be shopping for price also ....
If you don't ask for a discount ,,, I'm betting you wont get 1 ...

:hmm

Dperalta

Well, I drove to see the one at the other location today and it didnt have nearly as nice of a top. How do you decifer the year from the serial on these things?
The one at the Tampa store actually has a pretty nice top.

David

Analoga1p

It will have G0 and the following number is the year. 6 would be 2016

Well, I drove to see the one at the other location today and it didnt have nearly as nice of a top. How do you decifer the year from the serial on these things?

David

1jamman

David

The Standard numbering for RI's goes like this . X (year of RI) X (year made ,which recycles every 10 years ) XXX(up to 999 and then 1 more X is added if needed because more then 1000 were /are made . Keep in mind the #'s are for each model year RI and not combined with all models year RI's .

or X XXXX or for GC, it should look like G0 XXXX

The guitar in your link has a pic posted of the back of the headstock that shows 0 4741 as it's serial # . So it's not stamped as a GO .

OR

0 (model year of RI =1960) 4 (year made =2014) 741 ( number of that guitar, in the order of all R0's made that year ~ . Since special orders and Custom builds might be fitted in to the numbering .)

Hope this helps :salude

Dperalta

Helps a lot, Thank you!

The guitar I posted the link to is just what comes up on their main website. The 2 actual guitars available locally are G0 80032 and G0 60017, with 60017 having a nicely flamed top and 80032 having an odd top and lacking symmetry.

David

Analoga1p

I sent you a PM

Helps a lot, Thank you!

The guitar I posted the link to is just what comes up on their main website. The 2 actual guitars available locally are G0 80032 and G0 60017, with 60017 having a nicely flamed top and 80032 having an odd top and lacking symmetry.

David

Zentar

You mean there is a R0 and a G0?
Geez!
Every time I start to think I have mastered Gibson nomenclature I quickly find out I am again a babe in the woods.

renderit

You mean there is a R0 and a G0?
Geez!
Every time I start to think I have mastered Gibson nomenclature I quickly find out I am again a babe in the woods.

Wait 'til you find out about Z0's...

Dperalta

New development, A major retailer who I buy studio gear from often will sell me an '18 R0 for $5500 OTD with 24 months no interest. So, about a grand more for an '18 R0 vs a '16 G0 with similar tops. I know, I know, the correct answer is " buy them both", But I came home with a new double cut TV Yellow Special last week, so I may be pushing it with the wife at this point.

David

Analoga1p

The g0’s go for $4500 new plus tax, you can get a nice guitar mint for $4200 shipped. Plus the G0 does not have true historic parts. I sent you a message check it out

New development, A major retailer who I buy studio gear from often will sell me an '18 R0 for $5500 OTD with 24 months no interest. So, about a grand more for an '18 R0 vs a '16 G0 with similar tops. I know, I know, the correct answer is " buy them both", But I came home with a new double cut TV Yellow Special last week, so I may be pushing it with the wife at this point.

David

Dperalta

Well, after mulling it over for about a week, I went ahead and ordered a 2018 R0 in Dark Bourbon Fade, which should be here this morning. I will post an update after I’ve had some time to become aquainted with it.

David

TM1

I own the 2nd G0/R-0 from the 1st run in Sept. 2002. Mine is what they call a "Presentation" guitar. It has a Birdseye top and Brazilian fingerboard. The first run of the Guitar Center 1960 reissue consisted of 5 guitars just for the Hollywood store.
They were spec'd out as a `60 reissue with a plain top and the finish was what they call "Takburst". Now of course they evolved over the years. I've seen Darkbursts and Cherry.
The R-0's and R-9's are the same specs except for the neck size. The G-0's were just a plaintop R-0. When I bought mine I paid $2,200. and I think it listed for $3,400. back then. I did send mine to Kim @ Historic Makeovers and he turned it into an amazing guitar with a recarved top, reshaped neck, celluloid inlays, right trussrod, Nylon nut, etc. It got the RDS package. But even right out of the box now they're pretty nice. I'm more concerned with the guitars sound/tone & playability. At the time when I got it Gibson was not building the reissues like they're built now; What was wrong was Trussrod, inlays, carves, finish, nut, plastics. I've spent a fortune on PAF's, pickup rings, switch ring, pickguard, knobs, pots, etc. It's nice to know that they are using the correct items now, but back then we had to buy almost everything from aftermarket shops and hope their stuff was right..
But, I don't think their cost should be what it is. Seems a bit excessive.

mzlanderfelt

Helps a lot, Thank you!

David

I bought 60017 in Tampa around Jan '19 and I've played it everyday. I love that guitar.