• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Does the ES models move more with temp?

c_wester

So I bought a Es-335 a couple o months ago and I really like it!
It sounds awesome,angry and quite distinct.
While doing the Jazz tone or BBking tone really good.
It has almost no dead notes att all.
It rings all over the fretboard.

Well to my questions?
Do the ES guitars move more?
This one needs adjustments probably every other week and with the Bigsby its abit unrealiable but does sounds really good.

Is this a problem with ES`s that the necks move or is it just mine ?

I really love this guitar but I whish I did not have to check the tuning every other song...?
I have light strings... I do not like the bass heavy and lack of tone that comes with thick strings.

Xpensive Wino

Well to my questions?
This one needs adjustments probably every other week and with the Bigsby its abit unrealiable but does sounds really good.

I really love this guitar but I whish I did not have to check the tuning every other song...?
I have light strings... I do not like the bass heavy and lack of tone that comes with thick strings.

I had similar issues with a 335. I sold it because I got tired of having to adjust the neck, as a matter of fact.

deytookerjaabs

It's dat wood boi.

That's all.

Depending on certain factors they expand/contract/swell/bend differently plus the neck is more "on it's own" with 335's/SG's etc. I don't think that's a problem though as long as it keeps tune etc. Heck, you can just keep the truss cover off, buy a straight edge or a notched straight edge, it shouldn't take more than a few seconds to do an adjustment once you know what where you stand. If a guitar of mine looks suddenly high/low on the action end it's a real quick fix. I no longer feel I can predict which ones will be stable though perhaps there is a bell curve. I will say from experience my (even skinny) multi-ply neck'd guitars over the years have all been darn stable after settling. (L5, Sheraton, LPC, L5-S, etc)

Last edited:

mdubya

Mine is great. I would try lubing the nut if you are having tuning issues. Mine is a stop tail, but rarely needs more than a fine tune adjustment.

c_wester

It's dat wood boi.

That's all.

Depending on certain factors they expand/contract/swell/bend differently plus the neck is more "on it's own" with 335's/SG's etc. I don't think that's a problem though as long as it keeps tune etc. Heck, you can just keep the truss cover off, buy a straight edge or a notched straight edge, it shouldn't take more than a few seconds to do an adjustment once you know what where you stand. If a guitar of mine looks suddenly high/low on the action end it's a real quick fix. I no longer feel I can predict which ones will be stable though perhaps there is a bell curve. I will say from experience my (even skinny) multi-ply neck'd guitars over the years have all been darn stable after settling. (L5, Sheraton, LPC, L5-S, etc)

Yup, I suspect you are correct. I think im just gonna have to live with it.

GuitarMikey

I've never had that problem with any of mine. One of mine has a bigsby and had went unplayed for probably 10 years before I purchased it. At first it had a few tuning issues, but after lubing the nut and the bigsby, it stays in tune nicely.

Roe

Mine is fairly stable. But hollowbodies and acoustics tends to be more temperamental or unstable than solidbodies. Some guitars are no good for outdoor gigs and traveling with changing temperature and humidity

1jamman

Well to my questions?

What "adjustments" are you "needing" to do ?
I have 2 relatively new/recent 335's (no Bigsby's, thank you) with me and I only have to do basic , routine maintenance on them .

Climate control (Temp and Humidity) have a part in how a guitar acts ...
They go out of tune when I don't use them for a few days/weeks .... But imo that's normal . String nut lube is a basic , I believe .
IMO, your issue might be the Bigsby .
Bending strings, if you do that, doesn't help either. How the strings are wound onto the tuners, might play a part .
Stretching new strings until they are stable(return to pitch) is another key element .
It all adds up .....

crashbelt

What "adjustments" are you "needing" to do ?
I have 2 relatively new/recent 335's (no Bigsby's, thank you) with me and I only have to do basic , routine maintenance on them .

Climate control (Temp and Humidity) have a part in how a guitar acts ...
They go out of tune when I don't use them for a few days/weeks .... But imo that's normal . String nut lube is a basic , I believe .
IMO, your issue might be the Bigsby .
Bending strings, if you do that, doesn't help either. How the strings are wound onto the tuners, might play a part .
Stretching new strings until they are stable(return to pitch) is another key element .
It all adds up .....
My 2 stop tail 335s and Bigsby 345 are all stable. But they're strung with 11s and are 59-64 so have had a bit of time to settle down!

Pellman73

are you going inside outside and changing enviromements and temperatures fairly frequently or is this happening in a room that has fairly constant humidity and temperature?

I'm guessing they would be more susceptible to that than say a les paul...

a few months back I got a hygrometer from amazon and a nice humdifier from Sharper image for the room where I keep all my guitars and I keep the humidity around 50% at all times in there. they all seem pretty happy

I recently got two ES-335s and I freaking LOVE them.

El Gringo

So I have my R9 strung with light gauge strings and I just did a setup 2 weeks ago because of the tunning issues, and did stretch out the new strings as well . I have all of them in a big room with the windows open and it is summer time with humidity .So I thought the new strings would stop the frequent tunnings I had to do .Wrong I was .The guitar strobes perfectly on my TU-3 ,it just must be the moisture rich air I guess .

Uncle Gary

In my experience, my ES-335s are no more prone to movement than any of my guitars, and, truth be told, more stable than most. I think it's the characteristics of the individual piece of wood that the neck is made from more than any other factor.

For the record, I use .009-.040 strings on mine (like all my electrics).

TM1

I have a late 2014 ES-335TDC block neck reissue. It was a bit tempremental at first but I figured the wood needed to adjust to not being a tree anymore. It's been just fine the last two years! Some necks just take time to settle in.

Bob Womack

My 2005 is as solid as a rock as neck and body geometry and adjustments go. Tuning alters with temp and humidity more than a Les Paul, but then it does have more free neck area by a long measure.

Bob

c_wester

Yeah the guitar moves abit.
Ive learned to live with it.
Im used to Les Pauls.
But this thing sound awesome its much more angrier than a Les Paul.
It has that Lord Satan is screaming in the halls of partydisneyHell.

Heres a example what it sounds like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDULJNMPYm0

Also This fucking group just kills me! I have been listening to these Guys/girls for two months nonstop.

Hedvig Mollestad Trio!