• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Sam Ash gets Les Pauls again?

Adwex

New member
Joined
Oct 29, 2002
Messages
3,494
My friend visited the Sam Ash in Huntington Long Island and he told me they have a bunch of Les Pauls hangin' on the wall. What happened, I thought they weren't a dealer anymore. I was shocked to hear it, I figured it'd be all over the LPF. Can anyone shed light?
 

jeffcoop

New member
Joined
Mar 17, 2004
Messages
153
Adwex said:
My friend visited the Sam Ash in Huntington Long Island and he told me they have a bunch of Les Pauls hangin' on the wall. What happened, I thought they weren't a dealer anymore. I was shocked to hear it, I figured it'd be all over the LPF. Can anyone shed light?

The Sam Ash in Indianapolis has a bunch of Les Pauls on the wall. They're all used.
 

tele00

New member
Joined
Jul 24, 2002
Messages
2,352
I would guess they just took their Nos LPs ( they had a bunch ) and put it all there........Looking at Gibsons most recent list of New york dealers, and Sam Ash isn't on it
.
 

EC1000

New member
Joined
Jun 13, 2003
Messages
1,409
most likely used

I better start looking for my samash card just in case though :)
 

Chlsmo

All Access/Backstage Pass
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
417
I live in LA and they always have commercials on the radio advertising gear, and specifically asking for Gibson trade ins. Funny though cause there arent more than maybe 2 LP's on the walls here.
 

59Vampire

Active member
Joined
Feb 1, 2005
Messages
4,223
I go into the huntington ash all the time. They are all used and all very expensive. They will pay top dollar to get les pauls. They also have a slightly used HW18 watt Marshall for 1999. They have some nice stuff. Murphy goldtop that somebody put grovers on. A rel nice R8 butterscotch with grovers stock custom authenitc.
 

jrnic

Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
228
Wow, a lot of Long Island Guys here....Me included. I have seen the LP's at both the Huntington and Carle Place Sam Ash. I was talking to a salesman at the Carle Place Ash I know a little, and I asked him that question re: Being a Gibson dealer again. He told me that they were not an authorized dealer anymore, but they do get them in from "somewhere"?? (They even are selling some various Epiphones as new but again he said they didn't come through normal "channels.") He also stated that since they are not an authorized dealer they all are maked either "Vintage" or "Used." The "Used" ones are, for the most part, new but because of legal reasons they can't sell them is "New." I guess that makes sense!!!!

Hope this helps!
 

440gtx6pak

New member
Joined
Dec 29, 2005
Messages
319
jrnic said:
Wow, a lot of Long Island Guys here....Me included. I have seen the LP's at both the Huntington and Carle Place Sam Ash. I was talking to a salesman at the Carle Place Ash I know a little, and I asked him that question re: Being a Gibson dealer again. He told me that they were not an authorized dealer anymore, but they do get them in from "somewhere"?? (They even are selling some various Epiphones as new but again he said they didn't come through normal "channels.") He also stated that since they are not an authorized dealer they all are maked either "Vintage" or "Used." The "Used" ones are, for the most part, new but because of legal reasons they can't sell them is "New." I guess that makes sense!!!!

Hope this helps!

I got the same story from someone who works in a Sam Ash that I know.
He says the same thing ... Sam Ash has cut an unofficial deal to get Les Pauls.

But with who? he refused to tell me.
 

DannyBoy

New member
Joined
Nov 23, 2003
Messages
1,708
backdoor inventory aquisition happens all the time with many brands... it's a situation where one man's poison (slow moving inventory) is another's meat (inventory they can't get), it works out well for both parties... However other authorised dealers near the recieving store generally get a bit peeved....
 

Jim Scully

Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2003
Messages
579
I'm from Long Isalnd too. The Les Pauls that I saw at Huntington Sam Ash were all used. I don't belivev that they have been carrying new Gibsons for over a year.
 

bluesjuke

Active member
Joined
Feb 6, 2005
Messages
7,007
Jim Scully said:
I'm from Long Isalnd too. The Les Pauls that I saw at Huntington Sam Ash were all used. I don't belivev that they have been carrying new Gibsons for over a year.


I grew up in N. Babylon & went to High School at the Huntington Sam Ash!!!
 

bluesjuke

Active member
Joined
Feb 6, 2005
Messages
7,007
Leña_Costoso said:
West Babylon here... when'd you graduate NB bluesjuke?


Way back in the 1900's- 1974.
My brother lives in W. Babylon, my sister in Amityville, & my Mom in Bayshore.
I was born in Hempstead in '56.
 

Chlsmo

All Access/Backstage Pass
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
417
Well I went to Sam Ash in Canoga Park today, and they do have quite a bit of Les Pauls. All of them were on the very high side of the used trade (to be expected), but the ones that were most noteable was the Ebony R8 for 3299.00, and the R7 for 3299.00, both "used" of course. WTF... I dont think they were Braz boards or anything so again WTF. AND all of them were very out of reach practically behind velvet ropes.
 

the399

New member
Joined
Feb 20, 2004
Messages
1,166
They have a Jimmy Page at the Sam Ash of Carl Place Long Island. They are selling them as used but some are new guitars. They must be buying them from another dealer, and being that they are not a dealer they cant sell them as new.
 

440gtx6pak

New member
Joined
Dec 29, 2005
Messages
319
Chlsmo said:
Well I went to Sam Ash in Canoga Park today, and they do have quite a bit of Les Pauls. All of them were on the very high side of the used trade (to be expected), but the ones that were most noteable was the Ebony R8 for 3299.00, and the R7 for 3299.00, both "used" of course. WTF... I dont think they were Braz boards or anything so again WTF. AND all of them were very out of reach practically behind velvet ropes.


==========================================

It seems they don't care if they sell the Les Pauls or not.
I think they just want them as EYE CANDY,
to get you into the store to try to convice you to buy something else.

One time I just went in and played stupid,
The sales rep was trashing Gibson and trying to convince me it's all HYPE.
He then tried to sell me his other brands.
 
Last edited:

Chlsmo

All Access/Backstage Pass
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
417
At the Long Island and Queens NY, Sam Ashes atleast:
It seems they don't care if they sell the Les Pauls or not.
I think they just want them as EYE CANDY,
to get you into the store to try to convice you to buy something else.

One time I just went in and played stupid,
The sales rep was trashing Gibson and trying to convince me it's all HYPE.
He then tried to sell me his other brands.


That sucks, On another note, I went to GC that same day and once again heard all kinds of bullshit from the sales guy. "Only the Baby-Taylor has a bolt on neck." "Im not calling you a liar, but who would use bolts on a $3000.00 acoustic?" Im not even surprised about this stuff, but I seriously wish these guys would leave me alone. I need to buy a shirt that says "When Im ready I will find you!" and the back would say something like "Oh Im just looking, I really have NO money!" The sales guys sat down in the room and started playing some crappy guitar, and wouldnt leave. Whats worse is that I could no longer hear any of the dynamics of the guitar I was demoing. AHHH frustration...
 
Top