• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

I finally got a play a real 'burst...(Gladys)

mavmus

:applaude:applaude
You are sooooooo lucky.

Joe you seem like a really nice guy!!

I've never played a burst or heard one in person oh well maybe one day..

ROCK ON man.

i met Joe in Dana Point two weeks ago, he's that nice he paid for breakfast

hoss

mingus, I totally understand that. Can I ask how you were flying Gladys over? Bought a business class seat for the guitar?

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
Maybe you preferred your goldtop to the sunburst because of the original finish?

No, they are very different sounding/feeling guitars. The sunburst has a beefier neck (feels very 50s, maybe a hair fatter than Gladys) Goldtop has a neck a tad thinner than Gladys and is about the same weight. Much woodeir tone. The sunburst has a more focused clarity that could use a bit of fattening up with louder/warmer pickups. It has short Mag PAFs that are pretty bright already. I like the sound of it, I just may try something different to get it into the cool electric feedback mode like Gladys. Right now it really shines on the cleaner little grit styles.
Ya know I hadn't really considered how well Gladys stacked up in the world of burst, just assuming she was near the top. If most bursts sound/feel better, then I prolly don't want to know.

Oh and the public thanks to Joe for being so gracious with his time. A big chunk of it was comparing my guitars to the one I went to see, then Gladys was a nice bonus of his time with no business involved.

Wilko

Oh, Thanks Joe for the kind words. BTW. My wife paid a lot of money to find jeans that look that cheap.

GeetarGoul

That geet glows like a bar of gold! I can remember a forum jam back in 03' in L.A. where Wilko brought his two 68's and they were mighty fine indeed. I remember the bursted one being brighter and the goldtop one being warmer sounding. Good times.

corpse

Wilko-
That is like losing your virginity to Jennifer Anniston or Biance'. I handled my first 59 and 60 LP standard at Rumbleseat and felt pressed to put them away- definitely not by the employees mind you- more of a fear of wetting myself. I really didn't get to do much in the way of appreciating I was so overwhelmed.
How much "searching" was involved in finding your 68's? Did you have to play a ton or did you get lucky?
Great story- atta boy Joe G. Good karma points for that one! Plus you got to hear a couple of great late 60's.
Jim

Kossoff_Fan

Gladys is off the charts. Such a beautiful burst. I'm sure she sounds as good as she looks! :peace2

mingus

mingus, I totally understand that. Can I ask how you were flying Gladys over? Bought a business class seat for the guitar?

Joe and I flew over and back in Business Class on Lufthansa and hand-carried Gladys on board where she made the journey in the overhead compartment. The guitar was in a protector case (generation 1) which was inside a gig bag for an acoustic guitar. We had no issues at all with the airline regarding carrying the guitar on board.

58burst

I think Gladys has the shiniest hardware on a burst that I've seen, especially that pickguard bolt. Do you keep a buffing wheel in the garage, Joe? :rofl

Sterling1

I held the neck to my ear and picked some odd chords and listened to the huge harmonic structure of the notes and chords as they sustained and developed from big notes fading to the overtones. And the way the sound echoed/reverberated in the wood. Joe asked that I let the amp/speakers warm up a bit before cranking it.
The amp was about 15 feet away in the closet off the back side of a large bathroom/shower area. Looked like a Marshall 1962 "bluesbreaker" later style cab. I didn't look at it close or even see how it was set. Based on how it sounded I'd guess right in the sweet spot just about maxed.
Played abunch of noodly riffs. Big chunky chords, hard, soft picking. hybrid picking with a pick "tele style", bare finger cluster. Stock stining blues licks. lots of bends with dynamics.
That guitar has an amazing dynamic range and extremely complex "finish" to the notes whether acoustic or electric.

It's always "funny" to me when a good player with a VERY good ear picks up Gladys, and hears/feels/senses things IMMEDIATELY. I say "funny" because I read SO much on this Forum from guys that have not/CAN not differentiate between things that have always been SO VERY CLEAR to me and others...Today's session reminded me of one of the sessions that *I* spent with C. Daughtry many years ago at HIS house - that was the first time that I "got it" - the overtones, the "note bloom", the secondary tone - whatEVER you want to refer to it as...

This is the kind of info that keeps me coming back here everyday. There is just no other place quite like this forum. Lots of knowledgeable and talented people sharing experiences like this is priceless!
Someday, I hope to know what you guys know!
Thank you!

CDaughtry

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator
Joe...you need to bring that guitar by my house again. I've GOT to photograph it again.....:jim

Wilko

I was just searching for some info and this thread came up.

Ya know, this visit was February 2nd, 2010. I was so shaken by the sound/feel (gotta be the headstock angle and better wood) that I sought out and had a 1956 to convert delivered on Feb 18th.

Feels VERY similar. I've added the long magnets from one of the '56 P90s to my short mag PAFs. Perfect candidate as bridge and tail posts are factory. No neck reset needed.

56_upper_angle.png

Progrocker111

Im jealous, cause i dont have possibility to play Burst here in Europe.

But folks, why dont you have Zoom H2 recorder for example and dont record some clips in such situations? :hmm

CDaughtry

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator
But folks, why dont you have Zoom H2 recorder for example and dont record some clips in such situations? :hmm

With our arm chair clip critics ready to pounce, it would be a real masochist who was willing to undertake such an adventure.:jim
Thanks...but I think I'll just go pound my balls flat with a hammer....:biggrin:

MikeSlub

Administrator
With our arm chair clip critics ready to pounce, it would be a real masochist who was willing to undertake such an adventure.:jim
Thanks...but I think I'll just go pound my balls flat with a hammer....:biggrin:

:rofl :rofl :rofl

zorglub!

Burst Detective!
After reading progrocker's question I swear I could feel THAT answer coming...! :)

porkchopwoody

Im jealous, cause i dont have possibility to play Burst here in Europe.

I did that very thing at Tom's shop with the intentions of A,B comparisons between a couple of his Bursts and my R9. I borrowed my buddies Zoom a week before and spent hours getting familiar with it so I could post clips and have a good catalog of sounds for tone reference. Showed up, got dumbfounded, and completely for got I even had it with me. You have so much you're trying to take in, before you know it it's been 4hrs. and u gotta drive back home a couple hours.

Maybe next time, cause I'm sure some would really enjoy it. :dude:

P.S.
It is such a privilege to have guys like Tom, Joe and others let guys like me really play these guitars. I still thank them very much.:salude

Last edited: