• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson Custom Shop warranty..bad experience and I wanted to share..LONG READ

davebc

Hey Miz,Congrads finally!
Why couldn't they/didn't they do way back when?I'm asking because I have the same issue with my 03 R9 Murphy.In my case,the tailpiece,bridge,and studs were not aged,but brand new.Only the p/u covers,screws,and pickguard holder were aged.It looks ridiculous,and unless there's some fact I'm unaware of,it just flat out looks like somebody just didn't give a shit.
Why would a Murphy leaves the factory with half aged hardware?

TheMiz

davebc said:
Hey Miz,Congrads finally!
Why couldn't they/didn't they do way back when?I'm asking because I have the same issue with my 03 R9 Murphy.In my case,the tailpiece,bridge,and studs were not aged,but brand new.Only the p/u covers,screws,and pickguard holder were aged.It looks ridiculous,and unless there's some fact I'm unaware of,it just flat out looks like somebody just didn't give a shit.
Why would a Murphy leaves the factory with half aged hardware?

Murphy doesn't age the hardware only the guitars themselves.

I found this out because mine was the first one he seen complete.

I told him I hated the fact that the hardware was not aged and he asked me if Duanes was aged as he recieved very little
info on the guitar from Edwin Wilson.
He went ahead and worked on the hardware for me.
It was sent back because the back was not aged.

Joneye

Marshallhead said:
...I have been thinking alot about this whole situation lately and well,I am really disappointed. If I would have known they wouldn't honor the warranty I don't think I would have ever bought a new Gibson..let alone a 4000.00 guitar.

"Warranty" is worthless if it prevents claims with all these exclusions. It is designed to overcome buyer resistance - not to honour the buyer's fair expectations.

I would have hoped "Gibson" on the headstock meant at least as much as any written guarantee.

davebc

Not to beat a dead horse,it's still beyond my understanding how a number of my Historics could have ever left the factory with issues like, bad pots that cut p/u output by 40 percent,horrendous nut work,frets that are as level as an Atlantic City rollercoaster ride.
But,the lack of aged hardware(bridge,tailpiece,and studs)on my "aged" Murphy was for me, the last straw.

My love for the Les Paul will probably be eternal;but my respect for the Gibson Company is gone.No more new Gibson's for me.What's the point? The real value is in the secondary market.You could argue that it always has been.

Last edited:

55Custom

davebc said:
Not to beat a dead horse,.
Don't worry. It's not a dead horse yet. The rest of us need to know how these scenarios turn out, and how long they took to get resolved.
This is a serious "buyer beware" issue for any new LP owner.

TheMiz

davebc said:
But,the lack of aged hardware(bridge,tailpiece,and studs)on my "aged" Murphy was for me, the last straw.

I think I went over this before, after talking with Murphy it is clear that he only ages the wood and not the hardware.

Gibson saves money by doing that themselves.

davebc

Miz,I always knew that Murphy didn't age the hardware.
It doesn't matter who "doesn't" do it.
It is an aged guitar with only half aged hardware.
So,if Gibson saves money by doing it themselves,hey fine,as long as somebody does it!

Last edited: