• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2019/2020 R9 Custom Pricing and Variations

Roguespeer

The prices for these are all over the place. Locally my only option is GC VOS at $6499.
Some currently available online are the Wildwood spec. with Wildwood Spec. Custombuckers.
CME spec. with Custom"S"Buckers.
VOS v.s gloss. M2M....maybe more idk.
I know my best option would be to go try out a bunch in person but with airfare it would also be the most expensive.
Do you guys haggle with shops before you buy or is the asking price the set price?
I would think that there is at least a 25% mark up on these, maybe more and I would expect to lose that on a new one if we didn't jive and id need to swap it out for another one.
I found a forum posting where a guy claimed he paid $4660 new delivered for one but he didn't say where he got it or what variation it was. I messaged him but didn't get a reply.
Id prefer to buy a slightly used one but if the price is within 1K i'd just get a new one.
If I do haggle at what price point do I shoot for a VOS with an average top new or used?

Last edited:

Tim Plains

Find a guitar you like and call them, don't ask for a written price lower than advertised because they can't do it. It really depends on how you present yourself, how long they've had the guitar for, time of year, etc.

This forum has numerous sponsors. Call a few, mention you're an LPFer, see what their inventory is and make an offer when you find one you like.

Roguespeer

Thank you Tim.
I have noticed that most have 3 piece necks but a few have one piece.

Big Al

Thank you Tim.
I have noticed that most have 3 piece necks but a few have one piece.

R9's have one piece mahogany necks, always have. You mentioned a variety of models, some custom dealer runs and limited issue and of course show a range of prices. What did you expect. VOS is a finish option, like gloss and not a model.

Do your homework and figure out exactly which model, and spec's you want and shop accordingly.

Roguespeer

R9's have one piece mahogany necks, always have. You mentioned a variety of models, some custom dealer runs and limited issue and of course show a range of prices. What did you expect. VOS is a finish option, like gloss and not a model.

Do your homework and figure out exactly which model, and spec's you want and shop accordingly.

Thanks Big Al. I have it narrowed down to a 2019 or 2020 R9 burst VOS. I'm partial to the tight flame, more orange ice tea burst and the orange dirty lemon.
One piece mahogany necks would mean just the neck or does that include the headstock also? Iv'e seen several R9's with mahogany three piece headstocks. Even the Gibson website example is a three piece headstock if you look closely.
I have never bought a new guitar. I called wildwood a few days ago. I have messaged with some on reverb. So far what I can gather is that there is msrp and then there is some wiggle room. How much wiggle room is what I would like to know but if I have to pay msrp for the right one than so be it.

JPP-1

Thanks Big Al. I have it narrowed down to a 2019 or 2020 R9 burst VOS. I'm partial to the tight flame, more orange ice tea burst and the orange dirty lemon.
One piece mahogany necks would mean just the neck or does that include the headstock also? Iv'e seen several R9's with mahogany three piece headstocks. Even the Gibson website example is a three piece headstock if you look closely.
I have never bought a new guitar. I called wildwood a few days ago. I have messaged with some on reverb. So far what I can gather is that there is msrp and then there is some wiggle room. How much wiggle room is what I would like to know but if I have to pay msrp for the right one than so be it.

Are you talking about the headstock “wings”? Because all Historic Les Pauls have one piece necks.

Wildwood is great, bought a CC from them, couldn’t ask for a better retail experience. Playing a bunch of historics is optimal but all the recent historics I’ve played have been very good to outstanding. I don’t think you can go wrong. A great instrument will last many lifetimes. So although the initial price is high, i consider historic Les Pauls a relative bargain.

ourmaninthenorth

The Gentlemen is in Alaska, which if my guesswork is correct, isn't best served to the trying as many in hand approach as most of us would primarily suggest.

Here's my halfpenny worth.

The world is literally wash with second hand Gibson guitars, both at retailers and the usual sale platforms, Reverb, Ebay et al. Pick your model, choose your budget, haggle like you mean it, walk away if you can't get a particular deal done, and set the controls for the heart of the sun...

Don't worry about getting everything right first time, Retailers ( inc Forum Sponsors - some big names here ) can only say no to your offers, practise makes perfect in this stuff.

Welcome to the merry go round.

Good hunting.

:salude

Tim Plains

Not including the three-piece maple necks, all Gibson Les Pauls have one-piece necks. Those pieces glued onto the side of the headstock are referred to as "wings" and all Gibson guitars have them.

Roguespeer

Wings. Thank you guys. I have noticed that some have 5 digit serials with a space between the first(9) and second digit and others have 6. I assume this is due to Gibson producing more than 9999 of these in a single year.

Tim Plains

That serial number space is gone after the 999th reissue made, not 9,999th. I'd be surprised if Gibson ever made 4,000 R9s in a single year.

Roguespeer

I pulled the trigger on a 2020 R9 VOS Iced Tea Burst. If they ship it out tomorrow I may have it by Wednesday.

Dekel Bor

Just my 2 cents - youve narrowed it down to 2019-2020 R9 - these guitars are pretty amazing across the board.
You can find amazing deals on used ones.

Try the gear pqge classified.

ive tried around 10 different ones by now from 2018-2019, all have been amazing, each different.
and just getting a second one - a 2020 R0, to meep my 2018 R0 warm.

Youll love it!!!