• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1977 Les Paul Deluxe

R8 Flame Top

I have a 1977 Les Paul Deluxe Gold Top. It has the decal with serial number on the back of the headstock. Serial number starts with 06. That makes it a 1977.
My Deluxe has the large side dot fret markers on the binding of the fretboard. Would this make it a made in Kalamazoo? It has a Nashville bridge that could mean Nashville made?
My 79 Les Paul Custom has the small dots and is above 500 on the last 3 of the serial number so it's made in Nashville.
I was just wondering if there was a way to tell where it was made. Thanks!!!

Bob Womack

My understanding is that production of the main lines of Les Pauls (Deluxe, Standard, Custom) moved to Nashville in 1976. There were some custom shop models built at K'zoo but that was it.

Bob

AJCR

There were the odd Deluxes made in Kalamazoo though.
I've got one from 1980 where the location is shown to be Kalamazoo by the batch number range.
Also some have said that the orientation of the 'Made in USA' can help ID build location. Supposedly it oriented along rather than across the headstock says Kalamazoo.

Big Al

Check tenon. Every Kalamazoo made I've seen had modified long tenon. I saw it done at Parson St in '78 & '79.