• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Prototype #1 Collector's Choice

GibbyLover

What's the opinion on a proto #1 CC? There is 1 for sale and I wonder if those are thebest the could make, sort of standard to compare the series to.
Otherwise they could be just a tryout to see how a colour works out, so very different to the rest of the series.
Are those the ones that the owner gets? I guess not, because I don't see how it could end up new in a shop.
Do they come with the same certificates, paperwork...?

I could ask Gibson, but they didn't answer my previous question about another guitar.

F-Hole

No paperwork with mine. Not as good a guitar as the final version, which actually isn't that good itself.

I wouldn't pay a premium for a prototype, and would only buy it if I really liked the individual guitar.

sws1

In some ways, they are perhaps more accurate since they have to get approval from the owner. But they may also have things wrong that were corrected in the production model.

El Gringo

Wouldn't the Prototype have a nicer, better, and more closer looking top than later # in the series ? That would be my reason for jumping on a prototype if I lusted after a certain CC .

GibbyLover

Well, I guess everything is possible.
I'm not really searching for this specific CC. I kinda like the vibe most have. And I have to admit that I'm not that happy with the way the CC's in a series differ. It's possible to have a plaintop to subtle flame or dark to light fretboard, how accurate is that on a replica...

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I had two CC models of my guitars, Sandy and Donna.

The Sandy was not made like the others and wasn't a true "prototype" as we assume the word means [very long story on that one].
Donna was a true prototype and very closely resembles the real Donna.

It depends on which CC model and how Gibson made that "prototype". Then you need to talk to the original owner that did the contract for the CC. :)

LeonC

I had two CC models of my guitars, Sandy and Donna.

The Sandy was not made like the others and wasn't a true "prototype" as we assume the word means [very long story on that one].
Donna was a true prototype and very closely resembles the real Donna.

It depends on which CC model and how Gibson made that "prototype". Then you need to talk to the original owner that did the contract for the CC. :)

This makes total sense to me (the part about the Donna proto). Answers to questions like this are rarely simple, like, "The prototypes are always best" or "No, the prototypes aren't any good." Reality is typically messy and not black/white...

So, ultimately, each prototype is just another guitar...and not only is the degree to which it "mimics" the original going to vary from one proto to the next, but the degree to which any person is going to be assured of liking it is going to vary from proto to proto and person to person.

I swear I must be the oddball CC customer--I bought these guitars on the basis of strengths of the individual guitars, not because they resembled the originals...I didn't really give a FF about the degree to which either of them mimicked the original...

duaneflowers

I swear I must be the oddball CC customer--I bought these guitars on the basis of strengths of the individual guitars, not because they resembled the originals...I didn't really give a FF about the degree to which either of them mimicked the original...

I also have several CCs and none of them were bought with any knowledge of or hopes to resemble or emulate the originals... I played them, liked the way they looked, felt & sounded, recognized them as being a cut above the other offerings at the time (as well as my other assorted reissues) and along with some of the signature models I have (like the Allmans and Pearly) they remain my favorites.