• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2017 R9

James S

Hi all.

I'm new to Les Pauls and am currently looking at a deal on a 2017 R9. However when the guys sent over the certificate its listed as a Standard. However the warranty describes it as a R9.

Perhaps more concerning the serial number appears to be 97824, which for what I can see doesn't seem to make sense for a 2017 guitar.

Any thoughts anyone?

Reply from seller below, I hadn't asked for this he volunteered it

Hi James

Yes no problem. Here are some photos. It occurred to me when I took those you may wonder why it says LP Standard on the COA. In 2017 (and only in 2017) that’s what they put on the COAs for all Custom Shop Les Pauls. I’ve photographed the warranty card too as this shows it’s a 59 Reissue (LPR9), and also inside the control cavity where it is stamped R9.

I’m in all daytime tomorrow so can wait for the courier. I will send it on a 24 hour courier for Wednesday if that’s ok?

Kind regards

Tim Plains

It was a dumb marketing move, calling these Standards, by Gibson to differentiate the True Historic line of guitars.

Is there a space after the 9?

9 = 1959.
7 = year made.
824 = 824th 59 reissue made that year.

James S

Hi yes there is a space. So the '7' can mean 17 can it? So on the face of it all good ?

Last edited:

Big Al

You seem pretty uninformed for someone about to drop multiple G$$ on a guitar. A R9 is an abbreviation for Reissue 1959 Standard. It is a Standard, always has been, a 59 spec Standard.

The serial number scheme isn't a mystery. It's been stable and well known since 93 when they first started the Custom Shop Historic Reissue series.

Too be honest, why are you buying one? I ask because there are many unique spec's and some quirks, some specific to model, some specific to y.o.m. that you should know. If it is a case of stumbling upon this guitar, playing it and knowing that it is the one, gotta have it but you are clueless about all this Historic reissue 1950's just how many Standards and serial number mumble jumble nonsense whats it all mean is it legit?? kinda thing, .... it's cool, it's correct.
You might want to do some homework to understand what your buying.

AND POST PICTURES WHEN YOU DO !!!!!

James S

Thanks Big Al. To be honest I've always has a bit of a thing for them and have been looking for a while, and I'm looking to collect a couple of decent guitars. I've always loved the legend of the late 50s guitars and prefer to buy slight more valuable rarer stuff when to comes to cars and guitars. I am in truth a very poor player, but starting to focus on it a bit more and one of two others reasons mean I need something outside of work to focus on over the next few months. This seems like just the thing.

James

Tim Plains

Gibson recycles these serial numbers every 10 years, so the 7 can stand for 1997, 2007, 2017, 2027. This one is obviously a 2017 based on the COA.

R9s are not rare by any means and this is reflected in the used market as many exchange hands in the mid $3k range. They may have slowed down a bit now but Gibson has repeatedly been cranking out over 3,000 R9s/year for over a decade. Buy one if you like the guitar, not because you think it's valuable.

Definitely post pictures.

Big Al

Thanks Big Al. To be honest I've always has a bit of a thing for them and have been looking for a while, and I'm looking to collect a couple of decent guitars. I've always loved the legend of the late 50s guitars and prefer to buy slight more valuable rarer stuff when to comes to cars and guitars. I am in truth a very poor player, but starting to focus on it a bit more and one of two others reasons mean I need something outside of work to focus on over the next few months. This seems like just the thing.

James

They are great guitars. Made in a separate factory and really nail the vintage thing. The problem is specs evolved over the run as they fine tuned the model. Neck profiles, frets and hardware changed and depending upon how important various specs may be for you, you may need to do some research.

In general the newest are most vintage correct, not necessarily better guitars. I have found excellent playing guitars from all eras, my favourite is a 19 year old 2000 R9.

Your instincts are correct, these are amazing guitars. If I read you correctly, I'd look for a new model.

James S

It arrived today - What a beautiful think to even look at, never mind play. Seemingly well set up and whilst I've only had about 15 minutes with it, as I'm at work, it seemed to play beautifully. Cant wait to get home! Thanks for all your help.