• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Another Gibson LP 1980

zippper4

Hello! :eek:la

Just wanted to share with you all my 80's Les Paul!

So here we go some informations about the guitar:

Model : Standard
Date : 1980 (USA)
Serial Number : 83440514 - (Made in USA on the headstock)
Tuners : Gibson Tuners
Finish : Cherry Sunburst
Neck : Maple & Rosewood
Body : Mahogany
Year of acquisition : May 2009
Buying price : 1.900$

Condition: Good, well played through the years

Now some photos :

5.jpg

DSC-3967.jpg

DSC-3976.jpg

DSC-3968.jpg

DSC-3973.jpg

DSC-3974.jpg

Thanks for watching, that's all folks! :peace2

Last edited:

Big Al

Cool guitar. That is a three piece maple neck, not mahogany though. Correct for 1980. The 1959 reissue Heritage Standard 80 had the mahogany neck. Guitars like yours always make me smile, remembering all those gigs from 70's and 80's and how well these guitars served us. Nothing but great memories!

Do you know which model Duncan pickups are in it?

zippper4

Hello, thanks! :)
Oh really? Well thanks for letting me know this because i'm actually kind of searching and keeping all of the guitar specs so that's interesting.
Haha i can guess so you already have one like this too?

Big Al

I had one just like it bought in '78. I loved it. I had to let it go as I found "Bad Betty" an extraordinary early first 59 Reissue Strings & Things 59 Standard at the Kalamazoo factory and then two reissue 59 Standard 80's.

My cherry burst 78 was a great guitar and I was very pleased to have the one piece mahogany body. The Ttops were really nice pickups but as I was in my "nothing but guitar, cord and amp" phase and my pal Seymour Duncan made me a pair of 59 paf pickups that along with new 500k pots really made a difference too my ears. I was so happy to have a cherry sunburst Les Paul Standard!! When I see one like yours I always remember that cool guitar.

zippper4

Wow 1978! :wow Pretty rare actually. Yes i can imagine the sound haha.

So you changed the pickups? By the way, may i ask you thoughts on what types of pickups are mounted on mine please? Because nobody seems to find what it is, and they don't have the chrome cover on top, and you seems like an expert on LP so. :)
I'm glad it reminds you great thoughts about it then. :peace2 We are the "next generation" still preserving the vintage haha.

zippper4

So these are my pickups, do you have an ideas if they are originals for this model and what they are? :) ThThanks for your help!

DSC-3885dd.jpg

Big Al

Well as in my first post I knew they were Seymour Duncan aftermarket pickups. The original pickups for your guitar were chrome covered Gibson Ttop humbuckers.

Your Duncan pickups are newer than your guitar and were added some years later as Duncans had plain bases in late 70's through mid 80's. I do not see a model sticker so it is hard to know which they are. One thing though, on the top of the pickup, at one end of the bobbins near the polepiece, is a square hole in a round circle that you can see the coil wire in. If the wire is a very dark color, kind of maroonish/brown and not a bright copper, it would indicate that it is a 59 Model pickup. If the coil wire is bright copper it could be many other models.

78 Standards aren't rare at all, I'm just old.

Not an expert, I'm just old and remember.

zippper4

Hmm interesting, i might find them and replace the actual ones then.

That's what i was thinking when i got it thanks for the comfirmation though!

I found this pickup charts, you mean like this?

1d45b76be5501ceb3f7e12f494652ca9.jpg

Well that's funny that you said that because actually the other pick says "59 B" on the back?

Capture.jpg

Thanks for your help! :dude:

Big Al

Hmm interesting, i might find them and replace the actual ones then.

That's what i was thinking when i got it thanks for the comfirmation though!

I found this pickup charts, you mean like this?

1d45b76be5501ceb3f7e12f494652ca9.jpg

Well that's funny that you said that because actually the other pick says "59 B" on the back?

Capture.jpg

Thanks for your help! :dude:

OK, That is a 59 bridge pickup. Most likely the neck is a 59 N model so a Duncan 59 set, basically the same pickups I installed into my 78, so our guitars would have been very similar. 40 years later I still use those pickups and the Seymour Duncan 59 SH1 pickups are among my all time favorites!

zippper4

OK, That is a 59 bridge pickup. Most likely the neck is a 59 N model so a Duncan 59 set, basically the same pickups I installed into my 78, so our guitars would have been very similar. 40 years later I still use those pickups and the Seymour Duncan 59 SH1 pickups are among my all time favorites!

Hello! :eek:la
Wow awesome thanks very much that's clear now for me thank you!