• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Some 'Keeper' Advice Needed

JPP-1

First thing is adjust the pickup height on each guitar to get the tone as closer as possible. For the bright guitar maybe raise the pickups and lower the pole pieces, for the dark guitar try lowering the pickup and maybe raising the pole pieces. Don’t worry about measurements use your ears.

Sustain or lack thereof is determined by a variety of factors in addition to the wood including stings, pickup, amp, nut and bridge. Sometimes when a guitar is new it needs some play time for things to break in.

All things being equal I would personally take a brighter more sustainy guitar. However, the aesthetics of the top to me is very important as is the feel. Sometimes we just want the hotter looking guitar even if it’s personality is not as fun as the plainer one.

But I would spend time with each and try to get them as close as you can before deciding. Also compare them over multiple days. It’s funny how tone can seem to subtly change or maybe it’s just our perception to it.

Tim Plains

Post pictures of both.

If I were you, I would take tally every time I pick up each guitar and keep the one I play most. The better base is the guitar you play most.

El Gringo

May I suggest proper set ups for both guitars before you sell either one because it could just be as simple as an adjustment to get that guitar singing and sustaining properly , along with pickups being adjusted and so forth . So after they are set up you could potentially have 2 guitars singing and blowing your mind with the sweet sound coming from them !

Big Al

Set up. Most likely the saddles are not seated correctly on the b & e and slots may be incorrectly slotted too deep. Adjust the pickups away from strings as far as feasible and check sustain acoustics, [unpugged]. Compare straight to bent. It may be a simple fret issue or pickup adjust. Notes higher up the fingerboard have less sustain.

Few possess the skills to do professional quality set ups, including non qualified store techs. A pro setup may be all you need.

Big Al

I think some of the sustain differences seem to be there, even acoustically

You think?

The issue you describe most likely is a setup issue. To know is better than to think.