• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Flying V Neck Tenons??

cocacolaman

I have a couple flying V's, One has me kinda stumped all are Korina V's Mid 2000's one has the common "Long Tenon" and one has the Historic "Long Tenon" where the tenon is between the two pickup routes. So those I've seen before. Anyone ever see a Korina V with the tenon near the back of the bridge pickup route???? It's a Killer Korina and does sustain for days but it's the only one I've seen done like this.....anyone else ever see one I'll take it apart and take a pic. is there a break down of all the tenon types and names. I've only seen them called short or long. but I've seen 7 different tenon lengths or styles. Is there a name for the tenons and joints?? Just curious. thanks

cocacolaman

Anyone??? Here's a pic the neck joint/ tenon extends to the back of the bridge cavity while most i've seen and had have been in the neck pickup cavity or between the two cavities....Anyone else see this before?
48382290786_6810844f6d_k.jpg
[/URL]IMG_20190726_143509308 by Tom Beaulieu, on Flickr[/IMG]

marshall1987

This photo shows the neck pickup route and the neck tenon of a mid-2000s Gibson Historic Korina Flying V. If you take off the black pick guard, you'll note that the neck tenon extends well beyond the neck pickup route.

Rich R

In the Zone/Backstage Pass
Don't know if this is helpful, but the most common setup is with the tenon going "through" the neck cavity, and stopping a cm or two on the other side. I have never seen it go into the bridge cavity before, like in your pic. That's a manly tenon, for sure :spabout

marshall1987

Don't know if this is helpful, but the most common setup is with the tenon going "through" the neck cavity, and stopping a cm or two on the other side. I have never seen it go into the bridge cavity before, like in your pic. That's a manly tenon, for sure :spabout

I'm thinking that Flying V is not a Gibson, rather a copy made offshore? IDK...may be wrong, but I have never seen any Gibson guitar with that neck joint geometry. Compare that black V with the Gibson Korina Flying V I posted above. See the difference in the neck cavity route? Plus the thick black finish doesn't look anything like a Gibson.

Big Al

I'm thinking that Flying V is not a Gibson, rather a copy made offshore? IDK...may be wrong, but I have never seen any Gibson guitar with that neck joint geometry. Compare that black V with the Gibson Korina Flying V I posted above. See the difference in the neck cavity route? Plus the thick black finish doesn't look anything like a Gibson.

This is my thinking too. The black V isn't a typical Gibson build. Build quality is off and odd. Neck pickup bass side cavity rout and end off fingerboard wall is something I've never seen before. That can't be post 93 Custom Shop Korina build, can it? Not sure that that is even a tenon the finish is so thick.

Last edited: