• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

WIZZ pickup owners..

garywright

just realized that the six pickup adjustment screws fitting sloppier than a French w**** ! ..while this set does sound excellent they are Extremely microphonic ..much more so than any original paf that I’ve played..when I get some time I’ll try to adjust this issue ..I was doing some searches here and it appears that Teflon tape placed on the screws will make for a taunt fit ? ..anyone done this other than hogy?

duaneflowers

I have 20+ sets of Wizzes and none of them are microphonic... did you put the covers on yourself? If they are not tight they would most likely squeal.

Not to belittle your English, but what exactly do you mean the screws fit sloppy? That makes no sense at all to me... neither does a taunting fit.

When I have put covers on myself I generally put a piece of double sided tape over the polepieces and adjust the screws to taste...

Pix would help...

garywright

good for you on the 20 Wizzes ..I really like the sound of these and as to yours not being microphonic that’s a surprise as the best of pafs Are microphonic to some degree ..sorry my computer used the word taunt rather than taut ..all 12 screws will actually rock side to side when raised up slightly above the bobbin ..this is what I meant by a sloppy fit ..like the screw threads didn’t match the bobbin threads ( understand now ? ) ..last night I removed all 12 and applied some candle wax which did help a little with the fit. ( no covers on )

ourmaninthenorth

Gary, maybe a couple of turns of PTFE tape on the male thread will do the trick, and give you a little more control over how tight you want them over the wax option that you've used already?

Bit piss poor that you've got to be arseing about like this, but wobbly threads drive me bloody mad too.

akstrat61

Have you contacted Alekzandar? My guess is that he would take care of you. I bought a set and they came with a broken ring somehow? In any event, he promptly replied and sent another set of aged rings ASAP. Seemed like a really nice guy and great customer service. My pickups sound super and I would recommend them to anyone. Best to email him and get his advice?? MHO:jim

garywright

Thanks for the replies. I think they’ll be fine for my needs now

CAGinLA

I have a set of Wizz pups and the poles are indeed very loose fitting (can spin them with my finger - no screwdriver required, hahs!).

duaneflowers

Its my understanding that the screws in the aged ones are oiled (to protect the bobbins from the aging solvents) and after awhile the oil evaporates and the screws revert to their original rigidity (hopefully already after everything's been adjusted to taste). I've always experienced that looseness, but never any wobbling, which to me is an indication that they may have been abused somewhere along the line and/or exposed to extreme temperatures causing the bobbin to stretch out of shape. They should remain a snug fit otherwise... :hmm

renderit

All my Wizz' wobble.
Always have.
Unimpressive fit on the screws for sure.

TM1

I have a Beano set that the bridge pickup can start squealing at normal playing volume. All the screws are tight....

BadRockNRoller

I have a double white set of WIZZ in my 97 aged R8 and, yes sir, they sure do wobble. But boy do they also sound great! Maybe "WIZZ's wobble but they sure sound great" will become their new slogan (channeling a bit of the Weebles from the 70's/80's).... Apologies in advance for the cheese factor :rolleyes:

akstrat61

I have a set in my Skinnerburst and they sound great, yep they are a bit loose.

As a side, just installed a set if WIZZ pups in a strat of mine and they rock as well!:dude::jim:dude:

questfor

Also in my set the poles are extremely loose. I do not like it, because to me it is a signal of poor quality manufacturing, but I have never had problems with it.

Señor Verde

Two sets. Some loose, some tight. Doesn't seem to be a problem. If it were, I'd probably put a drop of clear nail polish on the bottom of the screw, where it comes through the baseplate. That ought to hold it and the polish will break free pretty easy if I wanted to adjust the poles later.