• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1960 LP Burst, "Scarface" 🔥

CMExchange

Les Paul Forum Sponsor
Anyone want to buy a Burst! No bitcoin please!:) Say hello to Scarface! It earned that nickname because a previous owner (who undoubtedly was a Jimmy Page fan) decided to add an onboard fuzz circuit to the underside of the pick guard which was bulky enough that it required the removal of a small portion of the top in order for it to fit. Fortunately in July of 1988, a very skilled luthier did a tremendous job of reverting this beauty back as close to its original cosmetic condition as possible by placing a piece of maple which matched the surrounding grain very well into where it was removed. The repair is completely invisible under the pick guard!

Message me with questions if you got em! Davida@chicagomusicexchange.com

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Serial number would be a big help. Then it could be looked at on BurstSerial.com . :)

sws1

How about pics of the repair?

0_7615-32-me.jpg

zacknorton

Wow.

Ok. That must’ve been some kind of huge circuit.

Im not asking to be a smart ass. I’m asking because I’m curious.

Do you think that kind of repair could’ve been made so it was less obvious?

It is under the guard. And the joint looks tight, some of the grain matches up real nice
but it still really stands out.

Thanks for the pic/links!!!

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
It would be nice to see it backed off, like a full face shot with the pickguard off.
I bet it looks better than it does as a closeup. :ganz

Wouldn't matter to me. I like them with pickguards. :salude

CMExchange

Les Paul Forum Sponsor
It would be nice to see it backed off, like a full face shot with the pickguard off.
I bet it looks better than it does as a closeup. :ganz

Wouldn't matter to me. I like them with pickguards. :salude

Hey Tom! Ha]d a free moment today so thought lets do this! This repair was done SO well! its kinda insane how talented some folks are at woodwork! It's seamless!--David [email]A------Davida@chicagomusicexchange.com[/email]

[URL="https://www.flickr.com/photos/144492531@N08/40890114793/in/dateposted-public/"][IMG]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/40890114793_6ceb6c7602_b.jpg[/URL]
32912588527_23ddc80c5f_b.jpg
[/URL]

T.Allen

I think I recall this guitar. If it is the same one, Ed King was considering it when it was for sale several years back in Nashville.

Cyphex

Wow.

Ok. That must’ve been some kind of huge circuit.

Im not asking to be a smart ass. I’m asking because I’m curious.

Do you think that kind of repair could’ve been made so it was less obvious?

It is under the guard. And the joint looks tight, some of the grain matches up real nice
but it still really stands out.

Thanks for the pic/links!!!

I think it would be very difficult to make it “less obvious” without a refinish of the maple top. And that would be a shame considering how the rest of the top looks. The woodwork looks excellent. I think it’s killer with the pickguard on. And for me the pickguard should always be on:jim

Fantastic pictures, CMExchange! Maybe some of these could be added to the burst serial log?

Last edited:

JPP-1

It looks like there were two repairs, as the repair has an outline. Looks almost like a secret compartment or something. I would've liked to have seen it before the repair. Pretty top though otherwise.

Joe Desperado

Does anyone know if this was the Burst CME had at the Chicago show this weekend? If so, its really great in person.

Joe Desperado

Cool. I was busy checking out orange 1958 Gretsch 6120. But I’ve played that burst before. Really nice guitar.