• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Interesting, 3 of the coolest and most iconic Bursts were either damaged or modified

JIMI55LP

Duane's GT only got the headstock dog bite marks after it was sold or traded away but while Duane owned it, he had both pups rewound HOT and swapped them into the Burst he got in Florida at the trade which included Fender heads.

sws1

Duane's GT only got the headstock dog bite marks after it was sold or traded away but while Duane owned it, he had both pups rewound HOT and swapped them into the Burst he got in Florida at the trade which included Fender heads.

And yet, even today, when I hear that guitar...I hear Duane. That's a distinctive piece of wood.

duaneflowers

He had both pups rewound HOT? Where did you hear this? :hmm

AFAIK the Goldtop pups went into the Cherry Burst (where they remain today) and they are not at all hot. Standard '57 winds...

duaneflowers

And yet, even today, when I hear that guitar...I hear Duane. That's a distinctive piece of wood.

Any idea what pups are in it now? It was refinished 3 times and I don't imagine the pups in it now are the ones from the swap that were originally in Duane's Cherry Burst.

sws1

Any idea what pups are in it now? It was refinished 3 times and I don't imagine the pups in it now are the ones from the swap that were originally in Duane's Cherry Burst.

A little birdie told me they are pre-sticker PAFs from a byrdland.

The 3 refinishes...are the additional 2 after the Tom Murphy refin?

AA00475Bassman

As I read this thread I really question most of the post's , what you think , what you hear ?

richard henry

Banned
You can add Keith Richard's first burst to that list as well.

keithburst4.jpg

JIMI55LP

He had both pups rewound HOT? Where did you hear this? :hmm

AFAIK the Goldtop pups went into the Cherry Burst (where they remain today) and they are not at all hot. Standard '57 winds...
I read that when he traded the GT in Florida for the cherry Burst with some Fender heads, his tech swapped out the two rewound pafs from the GT to his Cherry Burst. He said he'd done that because the pups in the GT were "hot". I took his word?

marshall1987

Another good candidate is the repaired 1957 Goldtop/ Clownburst Les Paul that Dickey Betts gave to Dan Toler. :peace2

BSeneca

Dang. After watching that clip pf Zeppelin I am reminded that Bonham remains my favorite rock drummer, ever!!

This is funny. When they put out the dvd set 16-18 years ago. I came away realizing I was much more in awe of Bonzo than of Page. I never paid attention to the drums as much as a kid when first hearing their music. He drumming sticks out the most to me now. His right foot was ridiculous. I was intent on learning the riffs and chords that I never heard his kick drum lying underneath sound like a double kick. Amazing

garywright

His right foot was ridiculous. I was intent on learning the riffs and chords that I never heard his kick drum lying underneath sound like a double kick. Amazing

I think in Out on the Tiles he puts it to good use

Midnight Blues

It is not. Believe I must have been in some kind of self-induced stooper whilst replying? :##As a result, I humbly sit corrected.

Last edited: