• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

String change and Intonation

GeoffPW

Is it possible to change the strings from 10's to 9's on a gibson Les Paul Studio Guitar without having to alter the intonation etc. ?

Cheers

Geoff

Thundermtn

You might get lucky and have it close enough, but probably not. No biggy though, that's a 3 minute job.

GeoffPW

You might get lucky and have it close enough, but probably not. No biggy though, that's a 3 minute job.

Cheers Thundermtn, thanks for your reply. Just wondered if I might have to adjust the truss rod as well as the tuning at the 12th fret.

Zentar

Truss rod adjustments can be needed at any time. You may need to do a TR adjustment even though you changed nothing. However most people never do a TR adjustment the entire time they own guitars.
Generally speaking the players who do TR adjustments are the players who know how to do them. People who eyeball the bow of the neck do less TR adjustments than people who use gauges to measure neck bow.

Big Al

Unless you live in a stable year round climate a guitar will need seasonal truss rod adjustments. Whether some choose to ignore that and play less than optimal setups has no bearing on the fact it needs doing. 5 minutes and done. Every guitarist should know how to properly adjust truss rod, action and intonation.
I was unaware the frequency of adjustment was dependent upon owning gauges, I always thought it was truss rod wrenches. Go figure, huh?

Last edited:

GeoffPW

Unless you live in a stable year round climate a guitar will need seasonal truss rod adjustments. Whether some choose to ignore that and play less than optimal setups has no bearing on the fact it needs doing. 5 minutes and done. Every guitarist should know how to properly adjust truss rod, action and intonation.
I was unaware the frequency of adjustment was dependent upon owning gauges, I always thought it was truss rod wrenches. Go figure, huh?

HaHa nice one mate :hank:biggrin: