• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Is the Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded 2016 T a Good Guitar?

Generation

Hi, I'm interested in the Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded 2016 T. But the price has me worried, considering it's less than half the price of a current model LP Studio. Is it missing some things?

I see it has two Burstbucker Pro humbuckers. Aren't those the same pickups in the LP Standard? Wouldn't those be even better than the pickups on a LP Tribute or LP Studio?

Someone please fill me in and let me know anything that might make me reconsider purchasing this guitar. I'm also considering the 2019 Les Paul Studio.

Here's a link to the specs on Gibson's website: http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/Les-Paul-Studio-Faded.aspx

Thundermtn

You have to play them, every single one will be it's own thing and have it's own voice.

If i was going on looks alone the '19 tangerine burst studio would be the one.

Big Al

There are no inherent problems with this stripped down cost effective bottom line entry level USA Les Paul carved top. Quality of wood/spcs/build improve as cost increases. Best to define your exact preference and expectations regarding a Les Paul and a budget to match. Don't spend more than you can budget and don't settle for a lesser guitar than you really want because it's merely affordable.

Sometimes the unobtainable new guitar is within reach used as long as that is acceptable.

Now that being that, the Studio Faded T is a fine playing and sounding guitar.

RNELEE

I have the 2013 version of this guitar. Mine has the BB1 and BB2 pickups. I could not tell you what the difference is between the guitars and pickups. The guitar itself is a little rough cut. The fret work on mine was not the best, the dealer took care of it. But, bang for the buck, tough to beat. Mine plays and sounds just fine and then some. Next to my 58, I lose a little. However, when friends come over and play and it gets loud, seems like I lose a little less...You get the idea. You do need to play the guitar though.

Last edited:

musekatcher

I'll echo there's nothing wrong with the T's or Tributes. They saved money on the finish and finishing detail. BB Pro's are cool and have been used as standard equipment on more expensive Gibsons. Also, a new Studio is about 50-75% higher than a new Tribute. And, they run about 25-50% higher in the used market. When you throw in colors, a used Studio can run double of a used Tribute (gold top versus faded red for example).

Big Al

I have the 2013 version of this guitar. Mine has the BB1 and BB2 pickups. I could not tell you what the difference is. The guitar itself is a little rough cut. The fret work on mine was not the best, the dealer took care of it. But, bang for the buck, tough to beat. Mine plays and sounds just fine and then some. Next to my 58, I lose a little. However, when friends come over and play and it gets loud...You get the idea.

You have a 58!!! PICS! Spill the beans! I am a big fan of the 1958 Les Paul.

S. Cane

Unexpensive Gibsons are mostly stripped down versions that deliver pure Gibson tone without the bling and the delicious slight details that make the higher-end ones so cool...

All in all, if you are mostly a musician, not someone who just WANTS a Les Paul Standard or anything alike, these T's, Faded, Studios and such are great guitars, I think it comes down to liking or not the pickups it comes with.

If you like what you hear and how you feel playing it, buy it and play it.

edselman

I have one in red and I love it. I like the feel of the finish, the shape of the neck and the feel. Everything is right to me. It is lighter weight than my Traditional, which isn't a bad thing for me.

mariushoog

Hi, I'm interested in the Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded 2016 T. But the price has me worried, considering it's less than half the price of a current model LP Studio. Is it missing some things?

I see it has two Burstbucker Pro humbuckers. Aren't those the same pickups in the LP Standard? Wouldn't those be even better than the pickups on a LP Tribute or LP Studio?

Someone please fill me in and let me know anything that might make me reconsider purchasing this guitar. I'm also considering the 2019 Les Paul Studio.

Here's a link to the specs on Gibson's website: http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/Les-Paul-Studio-Faded.aspx

Bought one new in 2016, worn cherry. As with any guitar I guess wether it's one for you depends on your personal preferences but as far as playability and build quality is concerned, I have no complaints whatsoever.

RNELEE

You have a 58!!! PICS! Spill the beans! I am a big fan of the 1958 Les Paul.

Al, I have a picture of the guitar on my phone. I do not know how to post the pictures on this forum. And, I am not much of a photographer. I have had that guitar since new in 2005.