• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Chinese Historic ....would you buy it ?

Xpensive Wino

Saved???????

Y'all put that pussy on a pedestal, now they come with expectations and shit.

This is displeasing.

28870813_10212741166536392_6771976043428315136_o.jpg

You have clearly given offence with your intemperate language, sir. :laugh2:

KR1

Western slope? :hmm

Closer to Denver, but we just stay back here behind the hills most of the time. However, Grand Junction, Telluride might be looming in the not-too-distant future. Growth along the Front Range has been staggering.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Closer to Denver, but we just stay back here behind the hills most of the time. However, Grand Junction, Telluride might be looming in the not-too-distant future. Growth along the Front Range has been staggering.

Check out Ouray. :ganz :salude

GotTheSilver

I think a lot of people's view of Chinese manufacturing is rooted in the 1980s!

I have no doubt that Gibon (whoever owns it) could build high quality guitars in China if they really wanted to. If they could build a Historic Les Paul at the same specs and quality of what is produced in Nashville today, and offer it for significantly less money, of course I would buy it! I think I would be stupid not to! That is the world we live in, and to fight it only hurts yourself.

KR1

Check out Ouray. :ganz :salude

Ouray. It's beyond description, and road-travel-challenged, dependent upon the season (but worth the effort). It's our version of the Matterhorn -Alps of the West.

The annual Bluegrass Festival is so grand. Gibson has been well-represented by virtue of the artists. Telluride is a great 6-string event if one is into wood, steel, and very clear air. Very.

Xpensive Wino

Wow! I didn't know Janis Joplin played a Les Paul!

:hmm

It's worth remembering that Eric Clapton originally wanted a Les Paul - with P90s - because of Freddie King, but "settled" for a 'Burst.

freddy-king_lets-hide.jpg

Then the floodgates opened and everyone wanted one "like Eric's", without realising he'd wanted a goldtop with single coils originally.

On the other hand, Mike Bloomfield traded a goldtop Les Paul Standard with P-90s for a 'Burst - after famously playing an early Custom and a Tele.

10389480_10153099810934276_6281403420047696876_n_zpskc7xvk0e.jpg

Michael knew that model Les Paul well because John Sebastian of the Loving Spoonful had one and Bloomfield had frequently played it when the Butterfield Band was in New York in 1965. The Spoonful used rehearsal space at the Albert Hotel and Butterfield and company roomed there when they were in town, so the two musicians saw each other frequently. Sebastian was also a close friend of producer Paul Rothchild's and was often in the studio at Elektra when Butterfield was recording. So Bloomfield had ample opportunity to try the Sunburst and he very much wanted one for himself.

While in England, Michael recruited guitarist Albert Lee's aid in locating a Sunburst like those that Sebastian and Clapton had. Lee was playing with Chris Farlowe's band, the group that headed the tour that the Butterfield Band was part of for the first two weeks of its four-week stay. Lee knew someone who might be willing to sell his Sunburst to Michael, but he unfortunately couldn't locate him before Bloomfield's departure on November 20.

Back in the States, Michael continued to ask around for an available Sunburst. It may have been on a stopover in Detroit in late December that Bloomfield first encountered the Les Paul Standard that would eventually become his.

Dan Erlewine, a young guitarist from Ann Arbor, had befriended Bloomfield in 1965 when the Butterfield Band frequently performed in Detroit. He fell in love with Michael's goldtop sound and eventually got a Les Paul of his own. He was using it with his group, the Prime Movers, in the winter of 1966 when the Butterfield Band came through the city. Michael was astonished to see that his young protégé was sporting a 1959 Les Paul – and that it was a Sunburst! He probably asked Dan to sell it to him, but Dan refused.

Michael called Erlewine again in the spring of 1967. By that time, he had left the Butterfield Blues Band and was starting his own group. Bloomfield pressed Dan again to sell him the Sunburst, and to sweeten the deal he offered cash and his goldtop in trade. This time the answer was yes.

Was he influenced by Clapton? Undoubtedly, yet it's fair to say that Clapton's use of a 'Burst was an accident, more or less.

bloomfield-pic.jpg

sgberry

:wormlet me spell it out for you Big A

a Chinese Consortium is looking at buying out Gibson as we speak

seems that Gibson has got some problems with the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

looks like they made a couple of foolish business decisions

Do you know what is going to happen if the group takes over Gibson ?

had I told a group of photography fanatics that Nikon lens and cameras would start being made in China they would have called me a mad man

Nikon was the technological icon of the country Japan - huge historical significance to them

guess what - it happened

HOW ABOUT LEVI JEANS BEING MADE IN MEXICO ? - yes they do make them there now !

once again someone would have said you were nuts because nobody would buy a Mexican pair of Levi

so now its beyond the realm of possibility that the custom guitars will be made over sea ????

anyone interested - take a look

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2018/02/28/gibson-guitar-vulture-acquisition/

Hey, Tripletime go find the job or do something productive and do not waste time trolling here.
By the way Levis has a special USA made line which I have bougt for myself and live in Slovenia.

tripletime

Les Paul Froum Member
you are not telling me anything I don't know

I bought American Levis 35 years ago - they are from a factory called Cone Mill

have fun in Slovenia !

(I actually would like to visit there - pretty country )

cone mill link:
https://www.conedenim.com/

"Chinese Consortium
is looking at buying out Gibson as we speak "