• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Goodbye Gordon Dow. You were the man.

abalonevintage

It is with a heavy heart that I have to make this post. My bud who was a long time vintage guitar guru and my adopted (by me) big brother, Gordon Dow, passed away from the insidious effects of chemotherapy on Super Bowl Sunday.

I guess there’s really no way you can prepare yourself for something like this, particularly when that person stands out above all others for a myriad of reasons.

The best word to have described Gordon was....fascinating. Why? Because he spent his life searching out fascinating stuff....and he had the eye.

I first met Gordon around 1985 when he had his guitar shop in eastern PA. I still have the stocks lists from his shop. We started hanging out at guitar shows in the early 90’s and realized we were into the same stuff.

Whenever Gordon & Timm Kummer would make an entrance at a guitar show....it was like rock stars turning up. Swagger...😂 One Nashville show in particular stands out. The one across from Opryland. It was like, “Damn, what’s their deal???” That will never be repeated. Gordon was, and Timm is, the real deal.

Earlier in his life, Gordon built and raced hot rods, collected vintage guitars, and lived life like a modern day wizard! (I only recently came across this photo!😂)

Gordon spent decades with his wife and partner in crime, Paula, scouring the countryside for rare guitars and antiques while making each day an adventure. He owned it ALL!!! Bursts, Korina V’s, Explorers, White Penguins (4), and more one-offs than you could count. When it came to guitars, he was the one percent, of the one percent, of the one percent.

Gordon will be in spirit at every guitar show, antique mall, and adventure I will ever strike out on.

You taught me well, now it’s my turn. Hope I do you proud, my friend...

God speed.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155095058122143&set=a.10155095059972143.1073741862.623307142&type=3

Big Al

I'm sorry to hear about your friend, Eric. I never met him but I knew of him, as you said, he was highly regarded. Hang on to those memories and keep him in your heart.

ourmaninthenorth

Same here.

It's a real tough gig losing a Pal Eric, look after yourself.

Condolences to all affected by this passing.

Godspeed.

Triburst

I'm sorry for your loss, Eric. Sounds like he was a wonderful person!

J T

Oh man, that's too bad. Sorry to hear that. Carry the torch for him. I'm sure he would have wanted that.