• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1964 pre T top pair for $1000?

Larry Otis

I just got a 2006 R9 Bourbon burst with Burstbucker 2's. Sounds a little hot. Love the guitar tho. 9 lbs. I call it the 9 Lb. Hammer! I have the opportunity to get a pair of '64 pre T top pups for $1000. The measure around 7.6/7.7. They check out as original. Is it worth it? New here so please be patient....thanks! Otis

deytookerjaabs

Personally, I'm only in the market at those prices if it means matching it to the proper era vintage. Or, buy them, use them, and get a beat up early 60's Gibson down the road! I don't know if that's a good price or not.

Otherwise I'd go the boutique route as you have the added ability of listening to 100 clips (FWIW, sometimes not much) before you buy, plus it's a fraction of the cost.

renderit

And bearing in mind that the 100 videos you watch won't sound the same as your guitar.

I am actually toying with the idea of having a rental service for pickups so peeps could TRY a bunch. Stupid?

deytookerjaabs

I am actually toying with the idea of having a rental service for pickups so peeps could TRY a bunch. Stupid?

Hmmm, not a bad idea, that type of stuff takes planning, networking, etc though. Takes valuable time away from Nachos & MTV.

corpse

That is a fair price for those PUP's. But I would try to find something else to permanently house them in.

Larry Otis

And bearing in mind that the 100 videos you watch won't sound the same as your guitar.

KILLER IDEA!!!!

Big Al

I see no reason to pay big bucks for old pickups to put in new guitars. There are plenty of new pickup options that will sound as good or better. Those are for restorations , IMO, and do nothing you can't get new.