• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

THE "STARSHIP" "BURST"

BURSTGANG

Some time has gone by so...........just curious what ever happened as far as the Craig Chaquico Sunburst Les Paul? I know we had a lengthy thread on it regarding what was happening and all the legal aspects as to who owned it and so forth.Last thread I had read it was said that the guitar now had to be sold by Cody to cover all the legal bills.............fighting to win something he now could no longer afford to keep. Did it get sold???? and if so..................Chaquico,did he get to buy it back. Tell me that did not happen.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Cody had it at Arlington [Oct '17] and it was for sale.
I think he might have consigned it, but I was very busy all weekend.
Somebody can add more soon, I think.

P.Walker

...Last thread I had read it was said that the guitar now had to be sold by Cody to cover all the legal bills.............fighting to win something he now could no longer afford to keep. Tell me that did not happen.

That was my understanding from reading the entire thread. What a shame. I really think the guy got the bad end of the stick.

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
Just finished up reading the other threads on this one... What a tragedy, for all parties concerned, but I really feel bad for Cody...

jimmi

Just finished up reading the other threads on this one... What a tragedy, for all parties concerned, but I really feel bad for Cody...
Well at least the lawyers got paid.

Wally

I hope the next owner doesn't have to pay any. :wah

Would it be advisable to request legal release papers signed by all parties involved in its past prior to buying such an instrument? Would one be well-advised to have a lawyer review such papers before buying? For all I know, such papers may be present with the guitar at this point. IF I were the one trying to sell it, such papers would be there before offering it for sale...because you know the questions will be asked, right? With such a guitar, such a 'free and clear' statement right up front would be the best policy.
could this Les Paul be the ultimate 'lawsuit' 'burst??

Doc Sausage

Would it be advisable to request legal release papers signed by all parties involved in its past prior to buying such an instrument? Would one be well-advised to have a lawyer review such papers before buying? For all I know, such papers may be present with the guitar at this point. IF I were the one trying to sell it, such papers would be there before offering it for sale...because you know the questions will be asked, right? With such a guitar, such a 'free and clear' statement right up front would be the best policy.

“The Lawsuit Burst” - Gawd, that is simultaneously funny and disturbing. But probably a reality in some cases. Hence, the enigma surrounding Beano. :halo

lpnv59

All Access/Backstage Pass
Legally settled with Chaquico signing off and Cody retaining a clear title.

Bob Womack

Yeah, a friend of the family developed a great career as a solo violinist in his twenties and eventually purchased a Stradivarius. Within a couple of years his wife filed for divorce and demanded half the value of the Strad. He already had a mortgage on the violin and had to get a second mortgage to release the half-value into the divorce settlement. Just think about that sort of cost for a minute. I'm just glad he is popular enough to pay the monthlies.

Bob

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner

I am sure the papers [or proper copies] will be included.
That should be enough, and I hope it is. :)

Cody

I am sure the papers [or proper copies] will be included.

This is correct. The final agreement reached between the parties is included with the guitar, and I believe Eliot would show it to potential buyers.

I’m not going to post the specifics on the web, at the request of other parties, but the important gist of it is just as lpnv59 posted above.

El Gringo

This is correct. The final agreement reached between the parties is included with the guitar, and I believe Eliot would show it to potential buyers.

I’m not going to post the specifics on the web, at the request of other parties, but the important gist of it is just as lpnv59 posted above.
That is so awesome for you and best wishes for keeping what's rightfully your guitar .

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
I'm a little confused... Is Lorelei actually up for sale??? :hmm

Sorry, I've been following all of these threads and I kind of got lost in the timeline of all of it... :peace2

Cody

I'm a little confused... Is Lorelei actually up for sale??? :hmm

Sorry, I've been following all of these threads and I kind of got lost in the timeline of all of it... :peace2
Yep - it’s currently at RumbleSeat.

BURSTGANG

Well... It still must feel good to be part of that guitars history/legacy... Onward... :salude
Would have been better had Cody just been able to keep and enjoy the guitar..............and not have to make a choice between his home and a guitar he already owned.............that would have been a cool history.

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
Would have been better had Cody just been able to keep and enjoy the guitar..............and not have to make a choice between his home and a guitar he already owned.............that would have been a cool history.

No doubt...