• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2018 Historic Collection Overview...check it out!

MrMarr

Just put a 2018 1957 Reissue LP on hold today.

I'd post a pic, but you've all seen Gold Tops before :)

I'm stoked. From what I've heard about it, this guitar rips, and I have a good feeling about the direction for the 2018's. Also doesn't hurt that I got it for a great deal :D

Winston2

Thanks for the post, CD >>
Hoping for nice Lefties, without having to negotiate M2M uncharges... let the buying spree begin! AS a fellow lefty, what shops do you know that stock lefty Les Pauls? Thanks

2018 has been a good Lefty year for USA and Bozeman, hope Custom Dealers feel they can stock up. Of course, the dealer pressure and bowing out like Dave's is unfortunate. Sadly, there's been some nice 2018 Memphis models with no Lefties...

But I digress : me want these. :salude
[/UOTE]
AS a fellow lefty, in your experience,what shops carry selections of lefty Les Pauls? Thanks

CDaughtry

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator
Has anyone seen the 335s with Brazilian at CME?:dude:

Top Gun

The 335's with BB's look pretty cool. All the ones I have seen had super dark fingerboards. They seem to be selling quickly.
They have some killer Brazilian LP's too.
The staff there is super friendly and very accommodating!

MrMarr

Has anyone seen the 335s with Brazilian at CME?:dude:

They'll have another special exclusive run of custom shop LP's coming in in about a month or so to from the looks of things... Can't wait to see what they look like. I bought one from last year's run and am curious to see how this year's will differ (Or I might just have my eye out for a pretty top).

J.D.

Nice looking guitar, but a couple of details just aren't right, at least on some of the '18s.

A Les Paul with a heavily faded burst goes well with the VOS hardware and slightly faded back, but the bright shiny inlays and un-ambered clear coat is a bit odd. These details look nice on the deep cherry red sunburst with non-aged hardware though, but then the slightly faded back looks a bit off. Would be interesting if the clear coat ambers with age and the deep cherry red dye on the sunburst fades but this might not happen (although it appears that the aniline dye in the Mahogany pore filler will).

lpthomas

Nice looking guitar, but a couple of details just aren't right, at least on some of the '18s.

A Les Paul with a heavily faded burst goes well with the VOS hardware and slightly faded back, but the bright shiny inlays and un-ambered clear coat is a bit odd. These details look nice on the deep cherry red sunburst with non-aged hardware though, but then the slightly faded back looks a bit off. Would be interesting if the clear coat ambers with age and the deep cherry red dye on the sunburst fades but this might not happen (although it appears that the aniline dye in the Mahogany pore filler will).

The tinted top coat is a Made 2 Measure option apparently. Always has been I was told. I think that is good to know at least. And I completely agree. It’s definitely interesting on the Vintage Cherry model but rather strange on a faded finish.

What I also wonder: Is the Vintage Cherry done exactly as on the True Historics or does it have a bit less of the very dark-ish red on the outside? Someone mentioned around here that this was a rather difficult color to do.

The tinted top coat is a Made 2 Measure option apparently. Always has been I was told. I think that is good to know at least. And I completely agree. It’s definitely interesting on the Vintage Cherry model but rather strange on a faded finish.

The 2017 Standard Historics...they all came ambered with all TH specs...vey nice guitars..

What I also wonder: Is the Vintage Cherry done exactly as on the True Historics or does it have a bit less of the very dark-ish red on the outside? Someone mentioned around here that this was a rather difficult color to do.

I've yet to see a top on a non TH or CC that compares to the TH or CC tops...and I don't mean the better flame or grain or pattern thing and I'm not saying my TH's or the CC's look better in the least bit

IMO they just look different maybe slightly darker, older, or vintage..

I've seen some wicked non TH and CC's that are just stunning as well !

lpthomas

I've yet to see a top on a non TH or CC that compares to the TH or CC tops...and I don't mean the better flame or grain or pattern thing and I'm not saying my TH's or the CC's look better in the least bit

IMO they just look different maybe slightly darker, older, or vintage..

I've seen some wicked non TH and CC's that are just stunning as well !

Yes, indeed the 2017s had the tinted finish. I have one of those in Dirty Lemon. They do not share all TH features though.

I agree with your observation. And maybe it actually is the added amber. It sure made the THs look cool and the 17s look expensive.

Froggie

2018 R9 Honey Lemon Fade - thanks to Andrew at Kansas City Vintage Guitars! Amazing guitar, very resonant, great neck profile, almost feels like the frets/strings are talking back to my fingers (I'm sure that doesn't make any sense).

As noted, the binding is lighter and the golden Gibson logo is now very light as well. The back is still fairly red however. I love it, all gloss after chasing aged to death guitars that last few years.

Thanks for the great 2018 info in this thread - and great price on the 2018's (compared to the last few years at least).

mhFYervh.jpg

I think this guitar looks great. Love the gloss finish too. I have a 2016 Sunrise Tea Burst R9 (gloss), couldn't decide between that finish or lemon burst, my other favorite color. So you get the best of both imo.

Best of luck and enjoy!

TM1

So What happens now since Gibson has permantely "Laid Off" everyone at Custom? I would have hated to know that I put a deposit on a build and or that a guitar was a day or two away from shipping out and there's nobody there to send it or finish it off...

lpthomas

So What happens now since Gibson has permantely "Laid Off" everyone at Custom? I would have hated to know that I put a deposit on a build and or that a guitar was a day or two away from shipping out and there's nobody there to send it or finish it off...

Hold on. 15 people were laid off I thought. Still quite a few left.

kats

Bizarre I guess, but I still haven’t played a TH and now a few 2018’s that I connect with - and I’m a sucker for a “new” guitar.

TexaCali

Hey Everyone,

Long time Gibson owner (since the 70's), but first post here.

I was in the market for LP with P90's and just picked up a historic GT '56. Amazing guitar! I have to say Gibson has done a great job with these. I'm a working musician, not a collector, and all my guitars are players. I have a few vintage Gibsons (though no 50's LPs!) and have been lucky enough to play some special guitars. I've also experienced some great inexpensive guitars, so lets just say I know a great guitar when I see one and I try not to be a brand snob. The Historic was more than I wanted to spend, but from the moment I picked it up everything just felt right. I already own a '69 custom and a '17 tribute, and played several new LP's before picking up the '56. The feel, the tone, the balance, it all just feels right to me. And it looks killer too!

I don't know what the future holds for Gibson or their Historic shop, but the 2018 model '56 I bought nails it! Once I played it I realized (other than a real '56), nothing else was going to satisfy. Now I just need to start selling off some of the other guitars I don't need......

Cheers,
Mark

Last edited:

AA00475Bassman

Hey Everyone,

Long time Gibson owner (since the 70's), but first post here.

I was in the marked for LP with P90's and just picked up a historic GT '56. Amazing guitar! I have to say Gibson has done a great job with these. I'm a working musician, not a collector, and all my guitars are players. I have a few vintage Gibsons (though no 50's LPs!) and have been luck enough to play some special guitars. I've also experienced some great inexpensive guitars, so lets just say I know a great guitar when I seen one and I try not to be a brand snob. The Historic was more than I wanted to spend, but from the moment I picked it up everything just felt right. I already own a '69 custom and a '17 tribute, and played several new LP's before picking up the '56. The feel, the tone, the balance, it all just feels right to me. And it looks killer too!

I don't know what the future holds for Gibson or their Historic shop, but the 2018 model '56 I bought nails it! Once I played it I realized (other than a real '56), nothing else was going to satisfy. Now I just need to start selling off some of the other guitars I don't need......

Cheers
Mark

Welcome to the Forum glad to hear another happy Historic owner !

TexaCali

Thanks! Here is a quick cell phone pic of the new inspiration machine. Been playing it non stop for a few hours now, sounds so sweet and plays wonderful. I haven't touched a thing since I bought it - factory strings (10's, I usually use 11), action and intonation are great right out of the box. The P90's are really quiet - no noise issues at all in my studio. And they are very responsive to volume settings and dynamics, from mellow jazz tones to rock-n-roll snarl to sweet country licks and rippin' blues, it just sings. This just became my main axe. Yeah, it isn't cheap, but I'm gonna use it for gigs, studio sessions, teaching, practice, and anytime I feel like it. Why not, it is basically a real '56 at 1/10th the cost!
IMG_20180623_184018.jpg

renderit

YES! Welcome! R6's is great workhorses. They got's extra bits down at the bottom end of the strings but I guess that's OK.

OK, here is the 'literal translation': They added the ABR instead of the wraptail. That's the 'extra bits' I'm joking about. I was laughing when I posted. I am now crying uncontrollably. What have we become? I can see a post later about "someone mentioned they have extra stuff they don't need and I'm concerned"...

Last edited: