• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1961-1963 Gibson Sg Going From Red To A Brownish Red How Does That effect The Value

samsdad

I was wondering if anybody out there has had the experience
Of having an Early 60's SG in Stock Factory Red Turn to a Brownish Red
And how does that effect the value of the guitar? If at all or is it acceptable?
Many Thanks

Reno_1ted

Very common/very normal to fade to a browny red colour. Value is all relative - a vibrant original red finish will usually be worth more to some people than a faded finish, but an original finish thats faded is nearly always worth more than a refinish when only comparing those two things (and there is more to value than this).

Personally I prefer the faded red look on an SG.

Kris Ford

I love the '65 Cherry..always looked to have a smidge more blue in the mix..

But no, I can't say that would devalue if the finish fades..

58burst

Personally, I like a fade- I suppose the high-end of the market is driven by purists who's ideal would be a like-new-fresh-from-the-factory condition, so if a guitar is ultra-clean and hence near the high end in value, then I imagine a fade would detract more than if it's a real-world guitar with some wear, which would already be beneath the high-end purists radar, and therefore already devalued some-

Big Al

Everything being equal, a vibrant unfaded finish has more value. How much depends on the buyer and has nothing to do with high end snobbery.

junior beast

Value commanded is highest the closest it looks to the day it left the factory of course, i.e. super red.

That said, how much does it's value drop if it is a refin?

I've been toying with the idea of getting a really beat up abused early 60s SG and getting it refinished to Pelham Blue?

Don't want to derail the thread but would you all say a refin is worth about 50% of a clean one?

renderit

With something they used at the factory probably 50%. With something they didn't, maybe 80% loss. I'm throwing out numbers here. I'm no expert but I recall a few in that category not selling very quick.

Big Al

With something they used at the factory probably 50%. With something they didn't, maybe 80% loss. I'm throwing out numbers here. I'm no expert but I recall a few in that category not selling very quick.

Maybe on a rare custom color but a lot depends on the circumstance, Ren. If it is really worn or finish damage the value takes a big hit, even though original. A well restored pro refin may be 50% less than same condition original, maybe not, and could hold or exceed the original pre restoration value.

renderit

Maybe on a rare custom color but a lot depends on the circumstance, Ren. If it is really worn or finish damage the value takes a big hit, even though original. A well restored pro refin may be 50% less than same condition original, maybe not, and could hold or exceed the original pre restoration value.

I don't believe we disagree. I.E. it's kinda what I said? Unless he does it in Mango Love Tequila Burst which might get 20% of a normal average. Which might be what a beater fetches.