• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Stroup Burst Demo

mt1986

Had my buddy Blake in over the weekend and being a lefty I thought it would be cool to swing by Carter's and see if they would allow him to have a go on the Stroup and the lefty 1960 ES 345. Both Walter and Christie were extremely accommodating and let him demo both. The video switches back and forth a bit but the amps used were a 1961 Fender Vibrolux and a 1958 Fender Hi Powered Twin. Both guitars remain at Carters, but the Twin might have found a new home.

https://youtu.be/zcXgzuAmgMA

Attachments

• IMG_4741.jpg
    IMG_4741.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 75

BlakeRockMD

So this was an absolute blast while also being scary as hell. Long story short, an absolute once in a lifetime experience as I never thought I'd get to play or see such a great example being "backwards" as some may say. The clarity and feel of the Stroup Burst was more than I could have imagined to the point when i completely blanked on what to play other than a few James Gang licks and some of what I thought at the time to sound slightly "Stonesy". It was purely killer. Neck was slightly transitional, and completely comfortable in my huge gorilla paws. Not too thin at all. It has magic . . . That's about all i can come up with.

DaveSG

As a fellow lefty, this is killer! Love it! Great playing and it is great to hear a lefty burst, which apart from McCartneys, I don't know how many demos or clips of one exist. Never gotten my hands on a vintage lefty Gibson, but make do by flipping them upside down and getting goofy!

Again, nice work fellas. I sincerely thank you for sharing!

Steve Craw

Formerly Lefty Elmo
My wife and I are looking to take a trip to Nashville, and Carter's is on the agenda. I played The MacEnroe Burst back in 1985, so The Stroup is definitely in my sights. So is the 1960 ES-345 lefty hat they have there. I checked out a lefty ES 345 for some one a few years ago, and heard the voice of God!

Last edited:

Pellman73

So this was an absolute blast while also being scary as hell. Long story short, an absolute once in a lifetime experience as I never thought I'd get to play or see such a great example being "backwards" as some may say. The clarity and feel of the Stroup Burst was more than I could have imagined to the point when i completely blanked on what to play other than a few James Gang licks and some of what I thought at the time to sound slightly "Stonesy". It was purely killer. Neck was slightly transitional, and completely comfortable in my huge gorilla paws. Not too thin at all. It has magic . . . That's about all i can come up with.

sounded good man!

now where were the dang marshall stacks when a brother needs one?

jb_abides

There's a lot of good tone going on in there, you can tell even with the not-so-great video sound. Great you could get yer paws on that thing! Mercy :salude

Decoy205

There's a lot of good tone going on in there, you can tell even with the not-so-great video sound. Great you could get yer paws on that thing! Mercy :salude

Agree it sounds awesome. Was the gainier sound the twin?

Jmb

Re: Stroup Burst Sold?

*I was looking around on Carter's site this morning....has the Stroup Burst SOLD?????....Maybe I just missed seeing it...but I did not find it there today........I guess if you're a southpaw.... there are not too many choices available out there in an Original 58-60 Burst! ...I believe there were only 4 made?.....if it did indeed sell.... My Best Wishes to the new owner!!! ENJOY.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Re: Stroup Burst Sold?

*I was looking around on Carter's site this morning....has the Stroup Burst SOLD?????....Maybe I just missed seeing it...but I did not find it there today........I guess if you're a southpaw.... there are not too many choices available out there in an Original 58-60 Burst! ... I believe there were only 4 made? .....if it did indeed sell.... My Best Wishes to the new owner!!! ENJOY.

There are 4 known and verified. How many were made remains a mystery. :ganz