• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Interesting Gold vs Blue discovery

goldtop0

I've had a 1974X for a couple of years now and have tried both of the above Celestions in it.
Using my R8 and R6 the Blue gives me brighter sound overall while the Gold is more of a brown sound especially(as you'd expect) on the Normal channel inputs.
That Normal channel with the Gold is a livable tone but with the Blue it's more alive and vibrant, clearer sounding, and in the Tremolo channel both sound good as it's the brighter channel.
Any of you had similar or different experiences at all with these two speakers.

Last edited:

thin sissy

I would like to contribute with something here, but I've never played a Gold so I can't really... Since the Gold has a higher power rating than the Blue, it doesn't seem unreasonable that the cone of the Gold is sturdier and maybe a bit more "dampened"? Just speculation on my part though.

On the topic of alnico speakers: I have a Princeton reverb (kit build) with a Weber Silver Bell and an AC15 with a Blue. These small amps pushing low rated alnico speakers seem to be the way to go for me, they are so expressive and compress beautifully.

I have a hard time imagining a better modern speaker than the Blue :hmm ... This of course depends on ones style etc.

goldtop0

Yes I've got some alnico Weber Blue Dogs and Silver Bells......however as you say the Blue takes a lot of beating, it's a superb speaker for sure.

sonar

I have a Blue in a 5E3 clone that sings.

Not a Gold, but I use a 12" Emi Red Fang in a Princeton Reverb clone. Not as dynamic as the Blue, but love the projection, while still retaining the alnico goodness.

TM1

Yeah, your observations are right. The Blue is a brighter speaker. The Gold had the cone dipped up to the first rib to strengthen that area and a heavier voice coil. I have both and far prefer the Blue. My 1974x has a 57 year old 12" Rola. It looks exactly like an early Celestion with it's hammerite grey frame. No magnet cover. The T1088 is exactly like the Blue except a different colour paint.

goldtop0

Yeah, your observations are right. The Blue is a brighter speaker. The Gold had the cone dipped up to the first rib to strengthen that area and a heavier voice coil. I have both and far prefer the Blue. My 1974x has a 57 year old 12" Rola. It looks exactly like an early Celestion with it's hammerite grey frame. No magnet cover. The T1088 is exactly like the Blue except a different colour paint.

That's interesting Don and thanks for the explanation. This makes me also think about the 90w Cream and what that might sound like as I've not got one of those.
As you say the Blue is brighter and is now my preferred speaker too. Those T1088s are the old ones and pre Vox label I think, good that you've got it as they're hellishly expensive now aren't they.

Last edited:

Stephens

I've thought about trying a blue in my 1974x, but I really dig the Greenback that came with that amp. And I have a handwired AC-15HW1x with the blue already.

Does adding a blue to 1974x push it into more Vox territory?

goldtop0

The 'aged' G12M20 is a very good sounding speaker and a step ahead of the stock G12M20 I had and used a few years ago, I like it a lot.
The Blue to me adds sparkle and drive before breakup........I wouldn't necessarily say Vox territory as such........it compresses nicely at higher volume and harmonics jump out at you.
I'd use either but prefer the Blue for now.
It'll be interesting to see what you think when you do a swap.