• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Do not buy a Gibson or Epiphone with coil tap and expect it to work

zacknorton

Have you tried the Malinoski?

Apparently they have magic pickup coil splitting switching on their impressive guitars.

Sweetwater recommended... which is saying something since they don’t sell Malinoski guitars.

zacknorton

Yeah...that was a joke.

The OP continually mentioned that guitar maker. Even going so far as to say that Sweetwater rexommended his guitars for their coil splitting.

Sweetwater doesn't sell Malinoski guitars.

au_rick

Big Al is correct, the gold top in my avatar has P90s that are coil tapped and works rather dramatically. Almost tele like when tapped .:salude

P90's being a single coil pickup, how do you coil tap these ??

AJCR

As a tap is something that can only happen within 1 coil, the answer is 'the same way every single coil tap works'.......by taking part of the winding out to a hookup wire.

Big Al

P90's being a single coil pickup, how do you coil tap these ??

I thought I explained it in my post. A single coil is tapped from a point earlier in the coil wind for an underwound sound as opposed to the full coil effect.

Telechamp

The coil tap works fine on my 2013 LP Studio. I just don't like the sound of it tapped..

500IooM.jpg

Big Al

I believe that's a coil select, not tapped. It turns off one coil leaving a single coil active for a singlecoil tone.

gnappi

If I were to purposefully buy a Gibson with that feature, I'd have no idea if it worked or not as I think they all pretty much sound like crappenzola.

As it is the few gits I own with it (Ibanez) I generally don't use. Not a P90, not a strat, nor any other single coil I could put the sound to any real use.

Zentar

Coil splitting and robo tuners seem like fabulous new functions added to electric guitars but yet players didn't take them very well.

Pedals though.... players seem to have gone Gonzo over them. They had to invent pedal racks to hold the dozen or so pedals a lot of players use.

I thought I was not interested in pedals but I suddenly realized I own 5 of them. The Looper is an absolute must.

I suspect pedals made coil splitters/tappers obsolete. I wouldn't notice if my guitars coil splitting function didn't work since I don't use it.