• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

About CC's

Sewell

Hi, I write because I have a doubt regarding CC's. They are supposed to resemble certain guitars in the hands of muscicians/collectors. They mimic the aging, top, color, neck, but how about sound? The reason I ask is because I see that Gibson put so much effort, but still, when reading specs, it seems they all have different combinatio s of stock pickups, be it '57 classics, burst buckers, or the newer custom buckers. Shouldn't they make a set unique for each CC that they recreate, in order to round up the concept, instead of putting stock ones?
I love CC's and their concept. In fact I own 4 myself. But think they should improve that aspect for the idea to work better, being each one a unique reproduction of a unique model. Just my 2 cents.

Big Al

I believe they (pickups), are as close as they can get.

EdwardR9

I though that Gibson tweaked the pickups in the CC series to match the original specs. There is a guy with a Deadpool avatar that will know for sure.

sws1

Rather than build a different pickup for every model, they have a number of CBs that they can choose from to get close to the tone of the original. i.e., bright and clear and dynamic, or dark and compressed, etc.

For my upcoming CC, I was shocked at how close the pickups in the prototype were/are to the original, both in tone and feel.

Sewell

Rather than build a different pickup for every model, they have a number of CBs that they can choose from to get close to the tone of the original. i.e., bright and clear and dynamic, or dark and compressed, etc.

For my upcoming CC, I was shocked at how close the pickups in the prototype were/are to the original, both in tone and feel.
I thought that was why they called them Custom Buckers. But they all seem to be the sam A3. Don't know about the turns though. Some, though, just have '57 Classics or BB's , just like stock instruments, which I think don't do the instruments justice.

EdwardR9

The part number is the same on the Custombucker and the winds per slug and screw coils are listed as 5200 and 5590. No way you can get higher or lower output with the same number of windings. I'm sure it's just a way to protect the "Magic" in these pickups. Gibson has the technology to recalculate the winder to do pretty much whatever they want so there has to be some ability to alter the design process. If you guys watch the Seymour Duncan Joe Bonamassa video about replicating the Magellan pickups, Seymour did not even tale the pickups apart. I'm sure MJ and Seymour just did what they do and wound the set by feel and by ear. I have to admit that these custombuclers are pretty damn nice and very consistent, other than the last set I got in my TH60. Sound better than any other set I have, but they steal like the guy in Deliverance.

1jamman

I recall reading (might have been here) that When choosing/or winding new pups for a CC line guitar . The Stock pickups are compared to the Originals (for sound) and if all agree the stock pups are a good match , that is what is used . If not a Custom Wound Pup is made .

Sewell

I recall reading (might have been here) that When choosing/or winding new pups for a CC line guitar . The Stock pickups are compared to the Originals (for sound) and if all agree the stock pups are a good match , that is what is used . If not a Custom Wound Pup is made .

So that implies that although the specs aren't precise, they are still winding different Custom Buckers according to the sound to recreate?

Sewell

Don't the new TH also feature Custom Buckers? If so, then there's not much difference. :hmm

Mats A

Even if they do the Custombuckers different the CC guitars most likely wont sound like the original anyway. It's more than the pickups and looks to that.

EdwardR9

I have them in two R9's and my 59' and 60' True Historic. They are all a bit different in DC resistance, but I really like them when they are a bit under wound in the neck position. My fave is in the 2013 R9 neck at 7.7K and it is amazing. Not that the CB neck wind is bad, but that pickup has the clearest low end of the lot. The other CB's are quite nice too, but if you have a bottom heavy amp or like a boosted Fender they hold up well against getting muddy.