• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2005 Custom Black Beauty 1957 - Knobs?

martie6621

Picked up a 2005 '57 Custom. Pups changed.....what about the knobs? Did 57s have these speed knobs or were they black bells? Anyone have a 2005 for comparison?

Also, any thoughts on keeping the uncovered pickups or would you go back to gold covers?

28iq6x3.jpg

Marcel M

I believe the originals had black bells, and I believe they also come on all the reissues stock, although I can't be sure for your particular year.

For the covers, of course, its purely to taste. On mine I have the gold covers on, but I'm going for more of a classic look. I think the exposed covers on yours looks really bad ass and has a nice "rocker" look.

Nice guitar! Enjoy. Love mine.

Dothedew

Nice looking LPC! That thing looks badass without pickup covers.
Did the previous owner also change the pickguard:hmm? I thought they came stock with 5-ply B/W/B/W/B guards.

martie6621

Good spot on the guard....may have been changed as well.......had not noticed it but now do.

J T

57 customs should have black bells not black speed knobs

RJLII

Black bells as others have offered. My '57 Reissue Custom has Nickel hardware, so I swapped the knobs out for silver reflectors. Not historically accurate but I like the look.

8685255539_58fca385be_b.jpg

Gold reflectors like this might look nice on yours too.

DSC03086.jpg

Trans-Am

DSC03086.jpg

Thanks for the PLUG on my Custom with the GOLD REFLECTORS bother!! hehehe!

Bitchin' Paul but in a CLASSY way!!!:dude:

Peace!

Big Al

All Gibson guitars went from Speed Knobs to the Bonnet knobs in mid 1955. Reflectors show up in mid 60. The hardware choices would be black or gold and followed the whole line. That is when a knob was changed it would be changed all across the line. Notable exceptions were the Whitch hat knobs from the later 60's on top models and the ultra cool, (IMO), brown speed knobs on the solid body violin bass EB0.

In the end it really is up to you as to what you want, obviously, but the Black Bonnet would be the right type for a 1957 replica.