• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

68 Les Paul Custom. What's it worth??

clusterstudios

Hello everyone,

I have the chance to buy a 1968 les paul custom but i am struggling to figure out what it's worth. First off its had a neck/headstock refin. It is unsure weather there was a neck repair or not. Also the guy who refin'd the the neck covered up the serial numbers so they are difficult to read, especially the first two numbers. Apart from the refin, possible neck repair and unreadable serial number everything else seem ok. I have the original bridge with the plastic saddles but it is seriously collapsed (fixable??), so I had to put a new arb1 bridge on her. The jack plate and strap pins have been replaced. Below are some photos of back of the neck. Maybe someone can see it there was indeed a neck repair in the past. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

68custom_36.jpg

68custom_35.jpg

68custom_34.jpg

68custom_33.jpg

68custom_32.jpg

68custom_30.jpg

68custom_29.jpg

68custom_26.jpg

68custom_23.jpg

keef

Pics don't show up - they must be linked to a pic hosting website.

DANELECTRO

The photos show up just fine for me.

The "Vintage Les Pauls" section is for 1952-1960 Les Pauls, so this thread should be in the Sunburst Pub.

Looks like a very nice guitar. In the 5th photo down in post #1 it appears that there may be a "C" shaped stress crack in the lacquer behind the first fret which may indicate a HS crack. I would assume that it is cracked when determining price.

Ryan Givhan

in the control cavity pics it looks like it may be a pancake body. i thought this didnt start til 69. or maybe my eyes are playing trics on me.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
The cutter blades leave marks that can look like layers. Tjhat is clearly a 1968 cavity.

Cool guitar, wrong section.

clusterstudios

Ok, I posted this in the sunburst pub section. Could someone tell me how to delete this thread now?

Classic71

I don't think you can. I'm sure the mods will sort things out when they have a spare moment.

Oh, and cool guitar BTW! :salude I hope you're succesful in the hunt.

MWR

Nice guitar...boy it makes me miss the one I had and traded in the 80s. :rolleyes: