• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Anyone familiar with the luthier George Yontz?

Mcloudnine

I currently have in my possession a 1953 Les Paul goldtop that has one of the best headstock repairs I've ever seen. It’s practically invisible under regular and black light. I have a photo to the guitar prior to the repair with the name George Yontz, the date of the repair & Pontiac Music & Sound, Inc, Sylvan Lake, MI on the back of the photo. If it wasn’t for the photo I would have never guessed the extent of the repair it is so well done. I wasn’t familiar with him and was curious if anyone on the Forum was familiar him or his work. Thanks.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I don't remember him, but I sure would like to see pics of his work. :photos

avincent52

There were a couple of Google citations about him in Michigan, but maybe he moved? I found this on Facebook, dated this spring.

Kati’s husband, George Yontz, is the proprietor of A.C.E. Guitars (acoustical, classical & electric). Only the finest of woods are used for his custom made guitars, with every piece carefully matched for the best possible tone. Some of George’s clientele include: Joe Pass, Joe Perry (Aerosmith), Earl Klugh, Bonnie Raitt, Robben Ford, Iron Maiden, Terome Hannon (Amy Grant’s Bassist), Drew Abbott (Bob Segar’s Guitarist) just to name a few. You can contact George at georgeyontz@hotmail.com.

Here's a link of some of his building. That's nice work on the fretboard extension on that pearly acoustic.
http://www.cypressguitars.com/images/gallery/gyontz/JP%20ftw.html

access

A friend of mine knows him. He said he just moved to Shelbyville TN (Not too far from me) about a year ago.

cryptozoo

Shelbyville ain't far from me, either. Maybe I'll shoot him a note and see if he's still doing repair work...

This is a pretty wild build:

gyontz1w.jpg

Jeff Promo

I am the owner/designer of this guitar

Shelbyville ain't far from me, either. Maybe I'll shoot him a note and see if he's still doing repair work...

This is a pretty wild build:

gyontz1w.jpg
I am the owner/designer of this guitar. I knew George for many years, back to when he worked at the now defunct Pontiac Music and Sound. He was a good friend and VERY talented luthier/repair person, as well as a great player. My spouse and I spent several weekends with George and his ex when he moved north to Brethren, Mi. Guitar took 10 YEARS to build, mostly due to my EXTREME patience! It plays great, sounds great, and looks great! Miss him dearly.

Mikeyontz

Do you still own this guitar? I was there when some of the work was being done.

QUOTE=Mcloudnine;2175276]I currently have in my possession a 1953 Les Paul goldtop that has one of the best headstock repairs I've ever seen. It’s practically invisible under regular and black light. I have a photo to the guitar prior to the repair with the name George Yontz, the date of the repair & Pontiac Music & Sound, Inc, Sylvan Lake, MI on the back of the photo. If it wasn’t for the photo I would have never guessed the extent of the repair it is so well done. I wasn’t familiar with him and was curious if anyone on the Forum was familiar him or his

Jeff Promo

Do you still own this guitar? I was there when some of the work was being done.

QUOTE=Mcloudnine;2175276]I currently have in my possession a 1953 Les Paul goldtop that has one of the best headstock repairs I've ever seen. It’s practically invisible under regular and black light. I have a photo to the guitar prior to the repair with the name George Yontz, the date of the repair & Pontiac Music & Sound, Inc, Sylvan Lake, MI on the back of the photo. If it wasn’t for the photo I would have never guessed the extent of the repair it is so well done. I wasn’t familiar with him and was curious if anyone on the Forum was familiar him or his

************* Yes, I still own the guitar, and it is still in almost pristine condition. Which son would you be? Contact me at jffpromo@gmail at your convenience. < Jeff Promo > **********

Ag52

I know this is an old conversation, but is George still doing Guitar work? I Grew up in Brethren Mi and he did work on some of my guitars. I never knew what happened to him....

Ag52

I really enjoyed his knowledge, especially what he could do with a guitar. He truly was gifted. Thank you for the response / sad news!