• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Pick guard - or no pick guard?

A-aron

In no way am I saying that one is "better" than the other. My personal taste is NO pick guard. The Les Paul is such a beautiful guitar that, to me, a pick guard looks like a diaper on a supermodel. In fact I don't like pick guards on anything. My (2) basses are Warwick Corvette $$, and the thought of a pick guard is repulsive. I feel the same way about my Gibson and Ovation acoustic guitars.

Feel wise, I like the open space for my fingers while soloing. I've played both, and this is the conclusion that I've come up with. If you love your pick guards, then God bless. It's your guitar and only you have to play it. Peace...

Big Al

I find that opinions change once you start wearing a hole in your acoustics top or lose their nice lacquer finish.

harleytech

I like mine with the pickguard on...
Never Liked them without too much...
I like the covers on the pickups also..

HenkeEdge

I dont mind the look of Les Pauls with pickguard. Think I might always have pictured Les Pauls with the guard.
But the 2016 Standard T Heritage Cherry Sunburst I have came with it not mounted. And I wouldnt dare to put the drill in that AAA-top.
And I love my little baby that also smell so good just as it is.

Both works for me I´ll guess than. =)

Last edited:

harleytech

I dont mind the look of Les Pauls with pickguard. Think I might always have pictured Les Pauls with the guard.
But the 2016 Standard T Heritage Cherry Sunburst I have came with it not mounted. And I wouldnt dare to put the drill in that AAA-top.
And I love my little baby that also smell so good.

Both works for me I´ll guess than. =)

Don't need a drill to install Pick guard... Just line it up where it has to be and
Just press a little hard on the screw while turning with small screwdriver - Goes right in and snugs up tight...
Did my 17' Traditional like that... Took all of 2 min. to do... Works Great !
JMHO...

charlie051

I like mine with the pickguard on...
Never Liked them without too much...
I like the covers on the pickups also..

"We" debated this in late 1980s. It is an eternal question with no correct answer. I do, however, agree with you. I resisted taking pickup covers off and same (so far) with pickguard. Pickguard may appear and disappear without warning. I do like it without the guard also.
Pickup covers will remain forever.

HenkeEdge

Don't need a drill to install Pick guard... Just line it up where it has to be and
Just press a little hard on the screw while turning with small screwdriver - Goes right in and snugs up tight...
Did my 17' Traditional like that... Took all of 2 min. to do... Works Great !
JMHO...

Oh yeah I know that works. What I meant with drilling was just putting holes in it that wasnt there from the beginning. =)
And I like it with the pickguard off also. So guess I´m in the opinion, leave it off if it´s aint mounted from factory and dont take it off so there is visible holes in your nice top if it was mounted.

But if someone is mounting one I think taping the area first and mark the "x" where to drill and use a very small drillbit (so the tiny screws still has material to bite at) is the better way to go when making holes in hardwood that you dont want any risk of cracking or do other damage to the surface area.

Elmore

For a flame-top, take it off. If no flame, leave it on.

1all's Pub

Either way is good. Both look good/right to me. I have LPs with and without pickguards. If the factory installed it then I leave it on (having the screw holes showing makes me crazy). If the factory didn’t install one, no way I’m putting holes in the body.

Last edited:

El Gringo

If you get a factory new Les Paul that is not drilled for the pickguard -leave it off as in to show off the top of what most likely is a very nice looking piece of figured maple .I myself have 2 les Pauls that did not come with pickguards and that is the way I like them

Trans-Am

Wow this is old....

Not sure I haven't seen your models w/o pg installed from the factory but here's a couple on mine I'd like to share here.

2005 Standard Iced Tea w/stock 490/498 pups.

Attachments

• IMG_1916.jpg
    IMG_1916.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1914.jpg
    IMG_1914.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 5