• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

I finally got a play a real 'burst...(Gladys)

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
... knowing what I know now about them. I haven't played a 'burst since before I knew what to listen/feel for.

rick_gladys.jpg

I learned a lot today, and confirmed what I thought I knew.
Went there to look at a guitar that he is selling that I didn't buy for personal reasons.

Thanks a bunch Joe Ganzler.

Stoj

Gladys kills me everytime I see her. Definitely in my top 5 Burst of all time :salude

Wilko

That is a very special guitar. I totally "get it"

I wish I didn't, but I do.

Something about "Pandora's snatch"

bnorm44

I got to ask the silly question. What lick did you start with? What amp did you plug into? Must have been a great experience.:peace2

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
... knowing what I know now about them. I haven't played a 'burst since before I knew what to listen/feel for.

rick_gladys.jpg

I learned a lot today, and confirmed what I thought I knew.
Went there to look at a guitar that he is selling that I didn't buy for personal reasons.

Thanks a bunch Joe Ganzler.

Looks good on you. :dude:

moonweasel

I don't want to play a 'burst. There will be no going back, and I don't have 200k+ laying around. :) :) :)

Wilko

I got to ask the silly question. What lick did you start with? What amp did you plug into? Must have been a great experience.:peace2

I held the neck to my ear and picked some odd chords and listened to the huge harmonic structure of the notes and chords as they sustained and developed from big notes fading to the overtones. And the way the sound echoed/reverberated in the wood. Joe asked that I let the amp/speakers warm up a bit before cranking it.
The amp was about 15 feet away in the closet off the back side of a large bathroom/shower area. Looked like a Marshall 1962 "bluesbreaker" later style cab. I didn't look at it close or even see how it was set. Based on how it sounded I'd guess right in the sweet spot just about maxed.
Played abunch of noodly riffs. Big chunky chords, hard, soft picking. hybrid picking with a pick "tele style", bare finger cluster. Stock stining blues licks. lots of bends with dynamics.
That guitar has an amazing dynamic range and extremely complex "finish" to the notes whether acoustic or electric.

I was ready to be "ruint" by it but instead I'm very pleased with the way my two main 1968s held their own (IMHO).

I may rethink my pickup choice in my sunburst as it is a bit too bright and not complex enough in the overtones. My goldtop is as expected. I think it could pass a blindfold test.

gladys_rick_cropped.jpg

Last edited:

Joe Ganzler

It's always "funny" to me when a good player with a VERY good ear picks up Gladys, and hears/feels/senses things IMMEDIATELY. I say "funny" because I read SO much on this Forum from guys that have not/CAN not differentiate between things that have always been SO VERY CLEAR to me and others...Today's session reminded me of one of the sessions that *I* spent with C. Daughtry many years ago at HIS house - that was the first time that I "got it" - the overtones, the "note bloom", the secondary tone - whatEVER you want to refer to it as...

Rick was right - his '68's sounded VERY good in comparison - my contention for quite some time now as well. My own '68, not as good - though I personally blame the pickup choice; but that's a whole 'nuther Oprah. Thanks for the LONG overdue visit, Rick - it's ALWAYS a pleasure hosting a fine guitar player who looks as good as you in cheap clothes!:salude

hoss

Great posts, great pics!

Man if I'd know I would have gone to Oberstdorf to meet Joe, Mingus and Florian (and to watch the Ski Flying World Cup).

Last edited:

frazettafan

I held the neck to my ear and picked some odd chords and listened to the huge harmonic structure of the notes and chords as they sustained and developed from big notes fading to the overtones. And the way the sound echoed/reverberated in the wood. Joe asked that I let the amp/speakers warm up a bit before cranking it.
The amp was about 15 feet away in the closet off the back side of a large bathroom/shower area. Looked like a Marshall 1962 "bluesbreaker" later style cab. I didn't look at it close or even see how it was set. Based on how it sounded I'd guess right in the sweet spot just about maxed.
Played abunch of noodly riffs. Big chunky chords, hard, soft picking. hybrid picking with a pick "tele style", bare finger cluster. Stock stining blues licks. lots of bends with dynamics.
That guitar has an amazing dynamic range and extremely complex "finish" to the notes whether acoustic or electric.

I was ready to be "ruint" by it but instead I'm very pleased with the way my two main 1968s held their own (IMHO).

I may rethink my pickup choice in my sunburst as it is a bit too bright and not complex enough in the overtones. My goldtop is as expected. I think it could pass a blindfold test.

gladys_rick_cropped.jpg

I don't know about 'ruint' - sounds like you're just more 'informed' now? And you have two great '68's at hand - you're 'on velvet'!

What would be your new pickup choice for your Sunburst?

That Gladys is a really nice looking Lass.:peace2

zorglub!

Burst Detective!
Very cool, congrats Wilko! I am sure it was really interesting to get to play one of the famous Bursts around here, and compare it to your '68s. Maybe you preferred your goldtop to the sunburst because of the original finish?

pit_s_xroad

as per the pics it looks like it just left the factory... awesome... :jim

PIT... :salude

Red Rocket

gladys_rick_cropped.jpg

Great tone report. That guitar pic leaves a person speechless. F**ing amazing. You must be living right Joe.

Zoomer

Awesome

Musta been like sleeping with Katheryn Heigl !!!

Decoy205

:applaude:applaude
You are sooooooo lucky.

Joe you seem like a really nice guy!!

I've never played a burst or heard one in person oh well maybe one day..

ROCK ON man.

mistersnappy

Gladys thru a Bluesbreaker. Damn. :wow :applaude

Yo, Eric, ditch the Strat and come to Jesus! :rofl

mingus

Great posts, great pics!

Man if I'd know I would have gone to Oberstdorf to meet Joe, Mingus and Florian (and to watch the Ski Flying World Cup).

It's usually a great thing to be able to meet fellow LPF members and I wish we could have met you and some of the other members who live nearby. :salude

I'm sorry you didn't get the chance to play this spectacular guitar too. However, I'm sure everyone can appreciate why Gladys' appearance in Bavaria was NOT publicly advertised on an internet forum prior to the event! There's just too much risk from those who may have nefarious motives to do it any other way.