• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Best year for LP Standards?

Black58

I have a 2006 Standard that I play out regularly, which I love. I put a Dimarzio SD in the bridge and a Dimarzio PAF in the neck and... um... oh shit! Did I come in at a bad time?

Yes. .. and being that you are posting something relevant, as well as, behaving like an adult, you're going to have to go stand in the corner. :rofl

KR1

For context, this is how it started:

New user says there are "suckass" Les Pauls.

User says "not true"

New user with a mildly insulting statement, or a light joke depending on frame of reference.

New user = "Smug ass ignorant bullshit dumb ass sactimonious chest beater doesn't know a damn thing."

That went from like a low level insult towards an inanimate object to a high level personal insult real quick...Then things took off.

dey,

It's a pretty familiar script - happens on lots of forums. Over the past year or so, we've had more "in your face" drive-by's by newer members on the LPF, and [of course], the incumbents won't have it. A quick reprise: "tripletime," "dsw2," "440Hz.." This is not to say that the responses to what appears to be trolling have been shining examples of adult debate, granted (my own included). And unfortunately, the occasional moderator response hasn't been much more than fuel on the fire. Admittedly, this varies.

Moderation is needed in any open forum for the obvious reason: "What is right" should always trump "who is right," as the latter devolves into an unending conflict when there are no consequences. Appearing to be a fool in a permanent, written record used to be enough of a "consequence." (Ha!) :##

Kim

deytookerjaabs

dey,

It's a pretty familiar script - happens on lots of forums. Over the past year or so, we've had more "in your face" drive-by's by newer members on the LPF, and [of course], the incumbents won't have it. A quick reprise: "tripletime," "dsw2," "440Hz.." This is not to say that the responses to what appears to be trolling have been shining examples of adult debate, granted (my own included). And unfortunately, the occasional moderator response hasn't been much more than fuel on the fire. Admittedly, this varies.

Moderation is needed in any open forum for the obvious reason: "What is right" should always trump "who is right," as the latter devolves into an unending conflict when there are no consequences. Appearing to be a fool in a permanent, written record used to be enough of a "consequence." (Ha!) :##

Kim

I agree, there's been a trend, my conspiracy theory is the MLP invasion hath commenced! Perhaps Big Al is in the trenches while we're on the hill.

MeHereNow

dey,

Kim

https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/...LP-Standards&p=2808882&viewfull=1#post2808882

440hz

My kingdom to see a new froum member. :ganz

ha ha haaaa!

new forum member?

It’s a bit too inbread for that.

I’ve been following LPF for 15 or maybe 20 years and I come and go

there are probably 5 awesome expert resources and then always the temporary core of fruitcakes that will eventually move on. Which is exactly how MLP got started.

for the record I rarely see a response from one of those 5 expert lpf resources.

do the math

440hz

That wasn't what I said.

Oh wait... weren't you working on the answer to the longstanding philosophical question of definitively determing "how does a person PROVE he owns a guitar"?

Pure talent

Black58

Oh wait... weren't you working on the answer to the longstanding philosophical question of definitively determing "how does a person PROVE he owns a guitar"?

Pure talent

Why would I answer a question that I had asked you?

zoommutt

Pure talent

You might like the book :How To Win Friends and Influence People

KR1

I own my three "best year" guitars: A late '69 Norlin SG (obviously not a LP Standard in the context of the OP's post), a 2009 Historic LP (Dbl Carve), and a 2017 Goldtop - R6. I own these, some after many years, because they were my "best." I have owned approximately twenty others long the way, but clearly there was never a moment when concurrent comparisons could be made. This is a limitation in the comparison process that would probably affect most players of a lengthy tenure: Owning, playing, and choosing guitars is a process that takes time for any player who chases and occasionally catches "tone."

So... How could anyone make such a judgement unless the effort was strictly judging non-sonic specifications? Maybe the OP didn't intend to drive the "specification" focus but I don't know how it would be possible to compare years' worth of production guitars for "tone." What could be more subjective??

Throw strings, pups, components, and set-up variances into the mix and "specifications" even fade away. Wood: go to the next tree....

There is no "best year," IMO.

Edit: There was a period of lesser-than-stellar mahogany in the Custom/Historic line (early 2000's, maybe) that had pretty noticeable sonic consequences (muddy), but that would be the only type of generalization I would be comfortable with - and - there were exceptions during that period, too. :ganz

Last edited:

ajwain

I’ve been playing (and buying) Les Pauls for 40 years, and I don’t think there’s a definitive period when the LP Standard was particularly “better” than any other. If you play as many as you can, you’ll find ones which speak to you from any era. They may be heavy, light, vintage, modern, have great figured tops or have plain tops... sometimes you find one which to you (and you alone) seems “better” than the others.

At the risk of being controversial, I don’t believe there are good instruments and bad instruments... just differences which appeal to different people. I have really lightweight LPs which feel like they resonate through your whole body when you play them.... that doesn’t make them sound any better through an amp or PA at 100dB. I also have backbreakingly heavy ones which are acoustically dead, and sound fantastic when plugged in.

I still own all of the ones which moved me when I bought them, and still move me today. They don’t have the same magnetism and desirability to other people, because we’re all different. Most people are drawn to my more expensive ones, which just goes to prove that this whole thing is subjective... fickle, even!

it’s never a bad idea to listen to other people’s opinions, but they must be taken in context: most guitar owners believe they have the perfect instrument; that nothing can beat it, but if you like the taste of pears and someone is extolling the virtues of an apple, you may not have the same viewpoint.

There’s no substitute for playing as many examples as you can, and trusting your own judgement.

Trans-Am

I’ve been playing (and buying) Les Pauls for 40 years, and I don’t think there’s a definitive period when the LP Standard was particularly “better” than any other. If you play as many as you can, you’ll find ones which speak to you from any era. They may be heavy, light, vintage, modern, have great figured tops or have plain tops... sometimes you find one which to you (and you alone) seems “better” than the others.

At the risk of being controversial, I don’t believe there are good instruments and bad instruments... just differences which appeal to different people. I have really lightweight LPs which feel like they resonate through your whole body when you play them.... that doesn’t make them sound any better through an amp or PA at 100dB. I also have backbreakingly heavy ones which are acoustically dead, and sound fantastic when plugged in.

I still own all of the ones which moved me when I bought them, and still move me today. They don’t have the same magnetism and desirability to other people, because we’re all different. Most people are drawn to my more expensive ones, which just goes to prove that this whole thing is subjective... fickle, even!

it’s never a bad idea to listen to other people’s opinions, but they must be taken in context: most guitar owners believe they have the perfect instrument; that nothing can beat it, but if you like the taste of pears and someone is extolling the virtues of an apple, you may not have the same viewpoint.

There’s no substitute for playing as many examples as you can, and trusting your own judgement.
There is a gem in almost everyday/month/year. You may just happen to pick an overall stellar player and that's what you tend to stick with, My last purchase for a Les Paul was from 2007 and never really looked at anything after as per say to buy let alone trade etc. but did played quite a bit that was offered/released up to this day.:D
I am good with what I have and have been looking at a few vintage models though instead. :unsure:

ajwain

Hi Trans-Am. Thanks for your reply. Do you mean re-issues or genuine vintage Les Pauls?