• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1971 54/58 reissue

Big Al

big_JohnFogerty1.jpg

This link for huge version clearly showing this to be a block logo early 70s Goldtop:

http://images.equipboard.com/uploads/source/image/9546/JohnFogerty1.jpg?v=1424540111

See, you learn something new every day! I've seen him several times and never saw one. Thanks for the info.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
I learned it from this thread!

I google him and goldtops, and this guitar is all over the place! I never really payed him that much attention. He just seemed like such a dork after Centerfieeld.:ganz

lhric

See, you learn something new every day! I've seen him several times and never saw one. Thanks for the info.

I had the dvd for “ A Long Road Home” a few years ago where the concert was recorded in California. He plays this guitar throughout the show. I’ve had a couple of these guitars myself. The first one I did not like because it had a very tapered neck. Had the goof rings which I liked. The second one had a fat neck and no goof rings but unfortunately had a smiley surface crack on one side of the neck/ headstock.

Arch D. Bunker

The 68 was built by CMI the same as in the 50's by many of the same folks, on the same machines with the original templates. Yes the neck pitch changed from 4 to 5 degrees as is the 58RI but unlike the 58RI, the 68 retained the 17 degree headstock pitch, vintage 50's tenon, correct top carve and color and neck profile.

Headstock pitch was 14 degrees on these '68s and going forward. Never liked that - may sound the same, but looks wrong.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
The headstock angle was the biggest differences to me withe many '68s I played.

While outwardly, the bodies were very similar to vintage, and even had the lighter wood, the build method was very different as the cavities were cut before the tops were put on. This gives us the impossible-to-fake tells of a real 1968.

sidekick

No personal experience, but being an LP enthusiast over considerable years, these curiously named early types of 'reissues' often cropped up in my LP 'learning curve'.

IMO and FWIW 'today' in the time-frame concerning which we speak, I have heard owners speak of them as often 'heavy' and given the various 'changes' of the Gibson Norlin period construction-wise when compared to the 50's originals, personally ruled-out buying one.

Interesting guitar 'historically' nonetheless.

textor101

Well I bought my '72 54/58 brand new in early '73. I have enjoyed playing it all these years. Yes I know Norlin has a poor reputation, but this guitar must be considered an exception. And mine weighs in at only 9.5 pounds. According to noted Les Paul historian Rob Lawrence "These early '71-72 reissues are now quite collectable, and have those great, inherent, vibrant Les Paul tones." Mine also has the "goof rings." I have made only one change. I replaced the original bridge with a Tone Pros locking bridge. But I still have the original bridge.

Black58

Well I bought my '72 54/58 brand new in early '73. I have enjoyed playing it all these years. Yes I know Norlin has a poor reputation, but this guitar must be considered an exception. And mine weighs in at only 9.5 pounds. According to noted Les Paul historian Rob Lawrence "These early '71-72 reissues are now quite collectable, and have those great, inherent, vibrant Les Paul tones." Mine also has the "goof rings." I have made only one change. I replaced the original bridge with a Tone Pros locking bridge. But I still have the original bridge.

NICE! :salude .. sounds like yer trying to sell. :hmm

The headstock angle was the biggest differences to me withe many '68s I played.

While outwardly, the bodies were very similar to vintage, and even had the lighter wood, the build method was very different as the cavities were cut before the tops were put on. This gives us the impossible-to-fake tells of a real 1968.

Help me. So the 68 LPs had what ITF tells? As opposed to what? the 71/58 or the 50's era LPs? And was the headstock angle the same as the 50's era or changed to 14 degrees. Thanks.

Big Al

Headstock pitch was 14 degrees on these '68s and going forward. Never liked that - may sound the same, but looks wrong.

Yup, I goofed up on that. They are not 50's guitars but much closer than the later 58/54 reissue which I never could get excited about much. Had a few but back then a real 54 was almost the same price, so, .... The 54 Custom Reissue always seemed a better buy for me and I quite liked them. So much that I sold my 55 BB and kept the 72 54BBRI and used it for years.