• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

The "Les Trem" stop-tailpiece tremolo unit

ashbass

xxx; said:
If you are not logged into the site (member) then a number of forums (not just threads) are not available for viewing. To see what I'm describing, logoff and look at the forums listing - much fewer than if you are logged in.

Well, that's a good recipe for extinction.

Why should anyone join if they can't see what the forum is about? The information about Les Pauls was here for the world to appreciate and learn from. People joined to become a part of the community that they saw here. If people can't see the community anymore, why should they join.

10-12 years ago the buzz in other forums was about how snobby the LPF was and how if you went there you should be prepared to get flamed by the old guard. That attitude slowly changed over the next several years.

The locking of forums like the Tone Zone to the world is a return to the elitist past of the LPF. The "you can't share our knowledge unless you are one of us" attitude makes me sick inside. This is negative to everything I thought the LPF had evolved into and to which I wanted to contribute.

I remember years ago wondering why members who left the forum would delete all of their posts. I thought it was small minded to take whatever knowledge they had shared with the world away from the world. I am struck now with the urge to delete all of my posts; I can't stomach being part of a closed society when all the work I did and documented was intended for an open one.

These are sad days for the LPF.

Ashley Bass

Last edited:

Hackubus

Les Paul Forum Member
That looks like a pretty neat set up there. How long did it take to install? Be sure to get the pics of your 335 up here when you get it put on that one.

ashbass

It took about 20 min. I didnt' use new strings so most of the time involved unwinding the strings carefully enough that I could rewind them without breaks, and then tuning back up.

The Es335 has been disemboweled for about a year now. Maybe this weekend I'll get around to touching up those finish chips I started on sometime ago and put the electronics back in. Will certainly post photos when done.

LususNaturae

Wow, that looks awesome - and practical. I'm looking to get some 'warble and flutter' out of one my guitars when in a Rockabilly mood. And your faded V looks cool too! I was considering having a poor man's 'Lonny Mack' model and buy a Faded V and Bigsby. And have a machinist make me a metal bracket that would support it.

ashbass

I went back and forth and back and forth between getting a bigsby or trying one of these out. In the end the Bigsby on the V took up too much real estate (same with the Maestro Vibrato) and on the ES335 the standard Bigsby arm was too short (and it takes up a lot of real estate).

I'm trying to work out now a way to color the thing more like nickel. Maybe a coat of tinted varnish or something. The strings don't touch the top of the tailpiece so there should be no way to rub anything off. Any ideas? Has anyone done something like that to chrome hardware?

Hackubus

Les Paul Forum Member
Yeah, the difference in the metals is pretty apparent in the pics there.

Desertdawg

The LesTrem is a neat idea which borrows the Bigsby principle and applies it without needing the top of the guitar drilled. Remember that Bigsby's original tailpiece, designed for archtops, didn't need the top drilled either.

However, the LesTrem still confronts the Gibson bridge. THAT'S where the problems in tuning lie. Bigsby was well aware of this issue and sold his own aluminum "rocker" bridge with the Bigsby.

Guitar Dean on this forum has done a LOT of work on Bigsby installation and has determined that a solid non-moving rigid bridge with Teflon saddles works best. I agree.

So, Ash, try the Teflon saddles when you get a chance but lock that bridge down or you'll go out of tune after a few songs.

timinator

Is the spring just resting on the guitar or does it hook to the trem some how? Could not tell by the pics. I think that will look killer on the ES.

Desertdawg

Ash, thast's EXACTLy why it will go out of tune. The bridge is rotating on its' posts so will never return to exactly the right place. With the Nashville studs you'l do better than the ABR-1 setup but I'd go with the Teflon saddles. Email GuitarDean first though.

Have fun...it's worth the challenge!

woodeye01

Maybe it works better on flat-tops like your V. I had one on my old Agile LP DC copy (actually a very nice copy once the pickups are upgraded) and it absolutely sucked all the tone and sustain out of the guitar. I really was surprised. It came off very quickly.

Rock-On!!

Adjustable Roller Bridge
1266_1lg.jpg

CHROME ROLLER Bridge
RollerCR_1.jpg

These are designed for Les Paul's to be used with a whammy

D_rifter

First off, that's pretty cool - no permanent mods to the guitar.

Secondly, I'd definetly go with the roller bridge suggested by Rock-On.

Thirdly, the tension spring ... I hope it doesn't just rest on the top or scratch plate. Is there some felt under there?

Fourth, how does the nut cope?

Minneapolis Slim

I'd opt for the roller bridge, too. I put one on my Epi ES-295 and it helped tuning stability immensely! I tried a Les Trem a couple years ago, but I wasn't into trems at the time so I took it back off. Now I have a Bigsby on the Epi and a Strat and I'd take a look at the Les Trem again.

Jignant

Excellent post! I am not a Bigsby fan but can see the merit to setting up an extra guitar equipped with a Bigsby or one of these, especially with the roller bridge in the mix. I would not convert my favorite hardtail, but how about that rig on a P90 SG classic or something??? :hmm something different. Definately let us know how your project turns out after setup...by the way, I'm a South Hills person. Good to meet another forum member from Pittsburgh. Where do you do your gear shopping here? Doing any gigging locally? :salude

GEBEBPRS

I had one on my SONEX 180 ...I broke it.....That was in the 80's....that dam EVH did me in....
Glenn