• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Black is beautiful!!!

JJ Blair

Customs just do not get the respect they deserve, unfortunately. This is my favorite guitar I own, and the last two things I will ever sell are this and my Selmer Zodiac Twin 30 amp. Sound wise, I'll put this against anybody's burst, any day of the week, and I have.

Serial 8-30XX
nut width = 1.662"
neck just above first fret = .861"
just above 11th fret = 1.023"
Pickups are all in the 7.8k range. Double blacks.

I refretted many moons ago, because I can't bend .011s the way I like on the "fretless wonder."

There is absolutely zero checking on the finish. Enjoy the pics.

blackbeauty.jpg

beautyheadstock.jpg

beautyserial.jpg

beautyheel.jpg

beautyfretboard.jpg

beautycavity.jpg

beautypafs.jpg

beautypots.jpg

beautycarve.jpg

beautyjackplate.jpg

TedB

Yep, that's the one I'd want. I like flametopped bursts as much as anyone, but I've always felt the original 3-pickup Customs were just some of the sexiest guitars ever.

access

Wow! Beautiful guitar.

For guitars that "Get no respect" they sure seem to trade for high amounts!

...and as far as 'putting it up against a 'burst" what would be accomplished in doing such a thing? Besides providing an afternoon of enjoyment I don't imagine either party leaving with a bad feeling after playing some ultra fine vintage instruments!

Marti

Nice refret too, that is like getting the best of both worlds. The killer looks of a black beauty and the bigger frets of a 59. Diggin it!:3zone

MWR

Fantastic! :wow May I ask what the weight is?

JJ Blair

Can't remember the exact weight. I'm guessing 9 lbs. It's not too heavy at all.

Btw, the reason i say they don't get the respects that gold tops command more money, and I just don't understand why.

bluesforstevie

Very nice!!!!

I always had trouble finding the best place to strum and pick on these beasts....I'm sure its all psychological...

Killer axe man!!!:salude

Classic71

Wowser, I'd been wondering about the avatar and now here she is in all her glory! Gorgeous example and thanks for sharing her. You two been together long? :salude

Triplet

So... Why aren't the last 2 markers the same size? I thought that was a quick tell for '50's Customs.

LPunbound

Wrong TRC and a 1958 would normally have Grovers. Obviously late 60 early 70 tuners on there.

Electric Lloyd

Cool guitar!
Yeah, like a few others here, I noticed the tuners & wired ABR-1. I have a '56 Custom I'm restoring for LPF member Johnny Slim. It's last three pearl block inlays are the same height. .275" on my digital micrometer...
Man I love the look of Customs too. The placement of the third (middle) pickup bothers me more than the low frets though.

MS 57

SUPER COOL guitar ! All the respect in the World from here !! :headbange I had a ´57 Custom alnico once, great guitar !

doodman

Nice! I actually like the 2-pup versions more than the 3-pups. But that doesn't mean that I DON'T like the 3-pups. I am actually looking for a beat-up black Custom so I can turn it into a junkyard of pups/knobs/hardware/etc. Funny- when you are looking for a collectors piece you only find rats. And now I can't find a rat! Hey- I'll give you $500 for THIS guitar!

JJ Blair

I've had it for about 20 years. I know the ABR is wrong. As far as Grovers go, there are no extra holes, and I don't think the Kluson hole would line up with the single Grover hole. 've seen "G" stamped Epiphone tuners on Customs as well, so they didn't all come with Grovers. The question for me is just whether or not waffle backs with metal tulips were made that early. There are '50s ES35s with waffle baks, AFAIK.

As far as the TRC goes, there's no ripples on this, which made me conclude it wasn't period correct. Must have come off a later 335 or something?

Been keeping my eyes peeled for gold ABR1, but I'll add the TRC to the list. Just never think about it!

Last edited: