• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Whats the best riff and/or solo ever played on a Les Paul

ourmaninthenorth

Another from Koss...Trouble on double time...loved it from the first moment I heard it,

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QO1Z0dO2UkA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And the riff from "Red" by King Crimson.

Neck Bones

Warren Haynes (Warrens solo)off The Allman Brothers album Hitting the Note "Instrumental Illness".

Joe Bonamassa Playing LZ's "Tea for One"

Gary Moore two solos on "Glory Days" off the BBM album Around the Next Dream.

Anything Duane Allman played

Anything Jimmy Page plays on an LP.

Al Dimeola has done some cool LP solos too.

**In no special order**

Texas Blues

The definitive sound of a Les Paul and riff is exemplified in not one but 2 tunes.

Both by Billy Gibbons and ZZ Top.

The first bein' ZZ's First Album and Brown Sugar.

The second bein' Fandango's Thunderbird.

Any thang before that is Koss and Greenie.

Bad Co.'s Bad Co. with Mr. Ralphs doin' his thang is also pretty badass.

And what a killer vibrato from Mr. Ralphs. on a Les Paul!

mistersnappy

Hideaway. Think of all the folks who heard that: Green, Page, Beck, etc....THE modern sound of a Les Paul. :2cool

horand

Of course, many great riffs/solos has been recorded during the years on Les Pauls. My personal all time fav riff is Bowies (1974) "Rebel Rebel".
It was played by Alan Parker (even if that wasnt official at the time). This is from an interview with Parker:
"I can tell you exactly what I used, it was an old Les Paul standard, a black one, and it was an old Fender reverb amp with a single Wharfedale speaker in them.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U16Xg_rQZkA

Brother Shaw

'Cry For the Bad Man'

Collins & Rossington - one of the best things I ever heard come out of a guitar.

I only saw one other Skynyrd mention in this thread - 'That Smell' Which is some of my favorite soloing.

What a great guitar band that was.

Brother Shaw

When I first saw this thread title, my first thought for best LP riff was the intro to "Gimme Three Steps."

That is a great choice. That and the following solo by Gary. He's got such a cool style, I love to listen to him & watch that old footage.

PeteH

Billy Gibbons double whammy of Waitin for the Bus and Jesus just left Chicago both sound great. I am also a bg fan of Dicky Betts clean solos on Blue Sky and Jessica!

Xpensive Wino

Of course, many great riffs/solos has been recorded during the years on Les Pauls. My personal all time fav riff is Bowies (1974) "Rebel Rebel".
It was played by Alan Parker (even if that wasnt official at the time). This is from an interview with Parker:
"I can tell you exactly what I used, it was an old Les Paul standard, a black one, and it was an old Fender reverb amp with a single Wharfedale speaker in them.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U16Xg_rQZkA

Alan Parker is the best electric guitarist who ever lived. :salude

Adevalera

Peter Green - I've Got A Mind To Give Up Living / All Over Again, live at The Warehouse, New Orleans, 1/31/70.

In my opinion that is the greatest guitar solo ever recorded:salude

Last edited:

ourmaninthenorth

No doubt. Now reading Mick's bio. It's a sad story.

Finished it recently - well got up to the end of "Flight of the Green God" chapter, after that I'm not that interested in what they did. Great piece of narrative between Peter and Mick on how they viewed the "business".

It's sad that any human being can be so consumed by illness, let alone one so immensely talented as Greeny.

:salude

SJB353

SO SORRY, DID NOT REALIZE THIS WAS AN OLD THREAD, MY MISTAKE, FEEL MUCH THE FOOL.
Mick Taylor-Marriage Madness w/Mayall (back to roots?) dare you to hear it and not be gut wrenched.
Clapton- All of the "Beano" album
Bloomfield- Albert's Shuffle+Stop
Peter Green-Live with Mayall '67
G.Moore- second long outro solo, not on the single, I don't think.
McCarty from Cactus-Honorable mention just cause he was so cool with that LPaul.
OK HERE I MUST SAY........Has Anyone mentioned HARVEY MANDEL? "BABY BATTER" was phenomenal. Why do people not know him? That album is so original there are no roots I can even tell. It is if he came out of a vacuum. Like he is playing sideways and backwards at the same time. Yeah, I am old, but just listen to the 1st cut "Baby Batter". It's a 70's Gold Top w/mini buckers. I opened for him for 2 weeks at the Seattle "Aquarium" now gone. He had me smoke "pot" with him but declined to tell me it was laced with heroin. I had to go play right after and the song was "Heartbreaker". I couldn't find an A chord, let alone play the solo well. Mandel just stood there, at the side looking at me and smiling. No doubt laughing at me under his breath. I almost fell off of my Platforms!! His tapping on "Shangrenade" is pre-Van Halen and he taps slow with very melodic triple stops.
My 2 cents - plus, at no extra charge - a positive mini rant.
Steve Buffington

Last edited:

Jackyrhode

Peter Green "The Supernatural" I swear you can hear the glass in the control room rattle.

Nobi

For RIFF i will go with COC Albatross, Pepper Keenan played a 50s Goldtop with P90

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rKPicUnsPPg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Foggy72

I didn't check all 9 pages but for me Eric's solo on I'm So Glad off of Fresh Cream stood out for me. I believe it's a Les Paul as well. When we put the record on the turntable back then, that song was always the first. I still play it now. It's short and perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDabn0a1EuQ