• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

LP reissue Brazilian Rosewood Boards

pigman

Hi everyone, I have a 98, 58 ri Plaintop, I,ve read alot about the talk of Brazilian fret boards , can anybody tell me when Gibson stoped using this wood on thier boards? The fret board on my 58ri has an extremly dark fret board and I am starting to look around at Gold Tops and wondered what years were good and when Gibson made this change to the lighter colored boards? Thanks Pigman

6L6

All Access/Backstage Pass
Yours most likely has a good quality Indian board which might have been oiled or well played,, nothing wrong with that!
Jan - May 2003 were the only months Gibson offered Brazilian on their Historic R7/R8/R9/R0's as a stock spec. There was a small run of Braz on some late model 01 R9's and one dealer had a special run with Braz. in 02 but that's about it. Vintage Gibsons had Braz up to the mid '60's AFAIK.

brianf

I would not sweat it. My 2003 R7 is Brazilian. (Confirmed by Gibson), but it sure looks like Indian to me. My previous LP Std. was Indian and damn, if that fret board is not the twin to my Braz. board on the R7.

My only concern to find out what board it had was if I ever resold it, I would not want to misrepresent myself to a buyer.

Indian, Brazilian, who cares as long as the guitar sounds and plays great.

I think a bigger issue is with Gibson going on this "Green" kick, how much longer are they going to be using mahogony???

Get a nice L.P. NOW!!!

brianf

whippost575859

Brazilian was jan-may '03 on all models.

There is a serial # table on here in some thread that nails it down pretty well.

The brazilian used during this period was not of the best quality, and many boards were very red with some exhibiting knots and dimples.

The brazilian did however look very cool with all its funky grain patterns.

The madagascar that they used before Brazilian was very high quality stuff, very dark and slick feeling, a good Brazilian substitute. However, since people seemed to accept the low quality Brazilian, the Indian and Madagascar they have used since has been fairly inconsistent stuff.

Johnnytone

Les Paul Forum Member
FWIW

Here is a (shitty) pic of a 1960 Telecaster (which is braz, correct?) along with my 03 Braz

BRAZ_ROSEWOOD3.jpg

Last edited:

Aular

Can someone post a pic with the Brazilian or any other wood exhibiting knots so we can have an idea of how it looks like, cause to be honest, I have never seen this knot in the grain, and it would be cool to know so we can learn how to spot it.

keef

Not knots really...you see swirls (sometimes referred to as 'spider webbing') in case the wood is not quartersawn. Much of the Brazilian used on prewar Martins is as straight grained as the Indian rw on current production guitars.
1830_p27971.jpeg

69strat

Formerly stephjeff
That looks too cool Keef. That's Mother Nature friggin' art. Could you post a pic of the whole guitar?

69strat

Formerly stephjeff
Reminds me of "The Scream" by Munch. The swirl look. Way cool.

whippost575859

keef said:
Not knots really...you see swirls (sometimes referred to as 'spider webbing') in case the wood is not quartersawn. Much of the Brazilian used on prewar Martins is as straight grained as the Indian rw on current production guitars.
1830_p27971.jpeg

That's a swirl, mine has those. There was a R6 at the dealer I bought my R7 which had a bona-fide knot in its board

pigman

Thanks for all the input!! I've read alot about the Brazilian issue and you've cleared it up. My R8 is a 1998 and is very dark, could very well have been oiled , I like it . Thanks Pigman