• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

is tab software a good learning tool?

bobad

there is software out there that you can download tab songs to help you learn. Anyone here dabble with any of them? The ones I have heard of are powertab and guitar pro.

S

stxrus

both are decent tab editors but neither will help you train your ear like listening to a real recording and trying to noodle the part(s) out.

just my $.02 before taxes

steve

Sambo

I've tried Guitar Pro (guitar-pro.com) and Power Tab (power-tab.net). Power Tab is freeware, Guitar Pro is $59.00 (but with a 30-day free trial.) I find GP easier to use.

Both have some decent tab available:
www.mikesguitarsite.co.uk/tabs/
southernrock.de.vu/
www.mysongbook.com/hp-home.htm

"Good" tab is a pretty good learning tool, at least to get you started in the right direction. "Bad" tab is frustrating and confusing.

Seems like the folks who take the time to learn the software and do the electronic tabbing generally do a pretty good tabbing job. With electronic tab, it's easy to listen to the tab and decide if it sounds right.

"Transkriber" is a nice $50 software tool for learning from recordings. Slows down without changing pitch, loops, tone transposition, etc.
www.reedkotler.com/transkriber.htm