• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

#811219 - help

smog

Hi all.
I'm very impressed with the knowlege on this forum. I'm a lurker from time to time and wonder if you can tell me a little about my LP.
Serial# 811219
The guitar is new but it looks as though Gibson has done the aging process all over it, pickups, pitted finish etc. Do all '58 reissues have this done ? Thanks

burst59

Looks like you got a 2001 R8 Authentic Les Paul,and yes Gibson does age them abit.also you have burstbucker pick ups BB#3 in the bridge and BB#2 in the neck.very sweet guitar.:dude and no not all R8's are aged.

Brownie

From my inderstanding, aged R8s generally didn't get the more aggressive aging of '59s. They basically got "red-wheeled" when they were getting waxed and buffed, for the softer gloss. The dings and worn paint effects were/are pretty much reserved for the R9s.

http://www.tonequest.com/pdf_pubs/samples/TQRApr03.pdf

Go to page 10, 2nd column and you can read about Historic Authentic finishes, and the differences between the R8 and R9.

b2nc

smog said:

Serial# 811219
The guitar is new but it looks as though Gibson has done the aging process all over it, pickups, pitted finish etc. Do all '58 reissues have this done ? Thanks

Let me guess... It's a lemondrop R8 Authentic, fantastic 3d top, huge neck and light as a feather, right?

I've got #811221 and mine is all that and more...

Last edited:

smog

Now I know

Yup. It's a lemon drop with a beauty top. Aged finish anf hardware. Thanks to everyone for the help.