• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Were SGs in the 60s made in Olive green or Pelham Blue?

martie6621

I see Gibson Historic is doing a lot of various colors on it's 64 and 63 "reissues". I don't recall those colors from those original years - did I miss something? Majority were cherry but sometimes black, brown, or cream whites were seen. The olives are kind of cool but someone tell me if they are color-accurate from the vintage Kalamazoo years?

Guitar Whiskey

Sure SG's and Melody Makers were available around the mid 60's in pelham blue. Most examples you see today appear almost green due to the clear top coat yellowing. Don't recall ever seeing olive green though.

j0waNKz.jpg

VamboRool

As I understand it, you could order any guitar from Gibson in a custom color. The Firebird series seems to be the one that they produced in the widest range of colors, but SGs show up in a variety of colors also. I know of a 1963 Golden Mist Poly SG Special. I should still have photos of it somewhere. Find yourself a copy of the orange Gibson Electrics book, it has a copy of the Gibson color chart in it.

ElectricGuitarM

The olive green SG is rare to find. My uncle has one and, man, it is amazing to play. Nevertheless, as someone who also admires the cherry red one (and quite possibly will get it as my next guitar), I think that you almost can't go wrong with any color. SGs are such nifty guitars in my opinion.

Sure SG's and Melody Makers were available around the mid 60's in pelham blue. Most examples you see today appear almost green due to the clear top coat yellowing. Don't recall ever seeing olive green though.

j0waNKz.jpg