• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Machine head tuner question Epiphone LP standard

Marcburn

Hello, I have a 2011 Epiphone LP standard. I’m having trouble with the guitar staying in tune. I have put new strings on and stretched them but the tuning varies widely on all strings. I can tune it up and have good intonation and within a few minutes of playing it begins to drop out of tune which is very frustrating. I’m thinking about swapping the machine heads and the nut. I was considering Grover 502 locking tuners but in my research it seems that it may already have Grover tuners. There are no identifying marks other than the logo. I’m posting a picture in hopes someone can tell me what type of tuner is currently installed and if they are quality or not. Should these be replaced? Any other recommendations for resolving tuning problems is appreciated.

thank you,

Marc
https://musicoomph.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/locking-tuner.jpg

ok. I found the tuner using a reverse image lookup. They appear to be d’addario pwat-6r1 self trim locking tuners. These appear to be quality tuners with 18-1 ratio. Since I bought the guitar used I don’t know if these are original or not but doesn’t appear to be.

should I focus then on the nut, saddle or bridge as next steps? Maybe I’m not stringing it properly with these tuners. I’m really not sure where to turn next to improve the tuning. Suggestions welcome.

Last edited:

somebodyelseuk

Locking tuners? Could be you're not stringing it corectly. Get that right. If you're still having problems, then look at the nut.
If the tuners were a problem, you'd be unable to even tune the guitar to pitch.
They can be cheap, feel like crap, but if they get to pitch, they're not the problem.
What you're describing sounds like a poorly cut nut.
It can probably fixed without replacement, though I would be inclined to have a Graph Tech Tusq nut installed, if it were me.
Saddles could be a problem, but I wouldn't expect that unless you've got a Bigsby.
Be sure you're stringing it correctly before you get the credit card out.

Marcburn

Locking tuners? Could be you're not stringing it corectly. Get that right. If you're still having problems, then look at the nut.
If the tuners were a problem, you'd be unable to even tune the guitar to pitch.
They can be cheap, feel like crap, but if they get to pitch, they're not the problem.
What you're describing sounds like a poorly cut nut.
It can probably fixed without replacement, though I would be inclined to have a Graph Tech Tusq nut installed, if it were me.
Saddles could be a problem, but I wouldn't expect that unless you've got a Bigsby.
Be sure you're stringing it correctly before you get the credit card out.

thanks for the quick reply. There isn’t much to stringing it correctly. Once you lock the string and begin tightening it cuts the string so there is no real winding around the post. I like your suggestion of focusing on the nut now. I ordered a new graphite tusq one today so we’ll see if that helps. Thanks and take care.

marc

El Gringo

Nut , saddle and bridge would be where i looked first in trying to get the guitar to stay in tune . Believe it or not a lot of times nuts dont get there slots cut correctly as well as saddles also . I went thru hell with a guitar of mine and replaced the nut and the bridge and now the guitar plays perfectly and stays in tune . This is an issue that can drive you nuts . From the 18-1 ratio that you described the tuners on the guitar should work and i would leave them be as it sounds like they are not the culprit . Best wishes and let us know how you make out !

rick c

For what it is worth, I string my guitars with the minimum wrap around the tuners. I thread the string through the tuner hole with only a little slack left in the string then bend the string at 90 degrees as it comes out of the tuner hole in the opposite direction that the tuner turns to tighten. I then tighten the string. On the low, fatter strings, this usually ends up with just one wrap and on the lighter strings just two or three wraps at the most. Another thing I do is tug on the strings and retune before playing; this rarely changes anything and retuning is not always required.

One thing the OP could try is dropping to 009-042 strings; the thinner strings will have more room to move in the nut slots and will be less likely to bind and ping.

El Gringo

For what it is worth, I string my guitars with the minimum wrap around the tuners. I thread the string through the tuner hole with only a little slack left in the string then bend the string at 90 degrees as it comes out of the tuner hole in the opposite direction that the tuner turns to tighten. I then tighten the string. On the low, fatter strings, this usually ends up with just one wrap and on the lighter strings just two or three wraps at the most. Another thing I do is tug on the strings and retune before playing; this rarely changes anything and retuning is not always required.

One thing the OP could try is dropping to 009-042 strings; the thinner strings will have more room to move in the nut slots and will be less likely to bind and ping.
That is an option as well , if you decide to change string gauges that will most likely mean a truss rod adjustment and maybe adjusting the bridge as well . Also that could mean a visit to a guitar tech ( it would for me )