• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

LP Refinish help

Tefo22

Hi guys,

Currently in the process of refinishing my Les Paul, after what feel likes 30 years taking off the poly finish, the body seems to be stained black from the old black poly finish. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to remove this staining? As id like to refinish to a burst

Thank you!

fred dons

what brand is it? (that could help determine what paint is used , poly is not used on gibsons) indeed it looks like they used a black stain to dye the wood and the only way to get that out is by sanding I'm afraid

Tefo22

what brand is it? (that could help determine what paint is used , poly is not used on gibsons) indeed it looks like they used a black stain to dye the wood and the only way to get that out is by sanding I'm afraid

Thank you for your thoughts. It’s an epiphone ‘56 standard pro, it was definitely poly or acrylic because it was coming off like shrapnel :wah

I believe the veneer is only 1/16” thick so how would I go about sanding that? Maybe wet sand with P600 and wood bleach?

fred dons

i assume this one does have a separate top (no way of telling how many pieces, you might be lucky if there is a 2 piece, check the pickup cavity to see whether there is a seam in the middle of the top. if so i would try to sand the veneer away to leave you with a clean piece of maple) (assuming the veneer is not heavily flamed and you therefore want to keep it) I tried peroxide to remove the color from maple but that is serious stuff and not for the fainthearted (and still you might end up with a blodgy piece of veneer)

Tefo22

i assume this one does have a separate top (no way of telling how many pieces, you might be lucky if there is a 2 piece, check the pickup cavity to see whether there is a seam in the middle of the top. if so i would try to sand the veneer away to leave you with a clean piece of maple) (assuming the veneer is not heavily flamed and you therefore want to keep it) I tried peroxide to remove the color from maple but that is serious stuff and not for the fainthearted (and still you might end up with a blodgy piece of veneer)

thank you for your advice! Just checked the pickup cavity and there’s no evidence of a seam or even separate top. I proceeded by sanding with P600 and then 3 layers of 50/50 household bleach and water. These are the results so far https://flic.kr/p/2k5kcCc