• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Advice on a CS 336

Bob H.

I’m seriously looking at a CS 336. I’ve played one a couple of years ago and passed. But it’s stayed on my mind. Any experience regarding the sound, feel, uses, pluses, drawbacks would be appreciated.

Guitar Whiskey

I played a few when they first came out. Not a bad guitar but from my perspective they don't really do the 335 thing exactly like a 335 and they are even less like a Les Paul. I'm more in the vintage camp so for me they did not equate to something I really want or need.

crashbelt

I had a CS356 which I think is the same as a CSS336 with upscale cosmetics.

Great guitars - bit of a cross between a 335 and a LP.

Sold mine as I'm vintage only now. But I gigged the 356 for a bit and was never disappointed for blues/rock stuff.

I'd be happy with a 336 if it feels and sounds good for you.

clayville

Catching up to this a little late. I love my CS356 (same as CS336, but with more bling) and have since the day I got it new in 2003. The size and comfort is what drew me initially, but I find it to be a really versatile guitar and I play it more than any other. To me, it seems to have a sound that's a bit more scooped than the typical midrange hump of a 335 or to a lesser extent an LP - just by twiddling the knobs I can get warm and woody on the neck or almost Tele-like brightness on the bridge and most things in between. The stock 57 Classics sound great to me, and I've kept mine bone stock. It's a great blues guitar, just fine for the 'classic' rock I want to play, and will clean up well for darker 'jazz' or brighter funk.

It's an in-between sound though, and you won't get all the way to LP grind, mids-heavy 335, or a woody jazz box. But I don't miss what it's not when I'm playing it (if that makes any sense) and I get close enough for my needs.

Most of the folks that didn't get on with them seemed to be trying to hit a sound specific to other models and falling a little short. Some guys complain about the relatively small space between the lower bout and the neck - but somewhat limited access to the highest frets if you have large hands hasn't been a deal-breaker for me. And then there are folks who just don't like the 60s Slim Taper neck profile that most of these have. Again: not an issue for me, but those are the pitfalls some players cite.

For what's it worth, this old take of mine over a JamZone track here at the LPF gives a decent sense of just how versatile they can be (there's a little Open G Tele towards the end, but all other guitars are my CS-356)
https://soundcloud.com/clayville/autumnleaves-1

Last edited:

Bob H.

Catching up to this a little late. I love my CS356 (same as CS336, but with more bling) and have since the day I got it new in 2003. The size and comfort is what drew me initially, but I find it to be a really versatile guitar and I play it more than any other. To me, it seems to have a sound that's a bit more scooped than the typical midrange hump of a 335 or to a lesser extent an LP - just by twiddling the knobs I can get warm and woody on the neck or almost Tele-like brightness on the bridge and most things in between. The stock 57 Classics sound great to me, and I've kept mine bone stock. It's a great blues guitar, just fine for the 'classic' rock I want to play, and will clean up well for darker 'jazz' or brighter funk.

It's an in-between sound though, and you won't get all the way to LP grind, mids-heavy 335, or a woody jazz box. But I don't miss what it's not when I'm playing it (if that makes any sense) and I get close enough for my needs.

Most of the folks that didn't get on with them seemed to be trying to hit a sound specific to other models and falling a little short. Some guys complain about the relatively small space between the lower bout and the neck - but somewhat limited access to the highest frets if you have large hands hasn't been a deal-breaker for me. And then there are folks who just don't like the 60s Slim Taper neck profile that most of these have. Again: not an issue for me, but those are the pitfalls some players cite.

For what's it worth, this old take of mine over a JamZone track here at the LPF gives a decent sense of just how versatile they can be (there's a little Open G Tele towards the end, but all other guitars are my CS-356)
https://soundcloud.com/clayville/autumnleaves-1

Thanks for the response - and nice clip. I just bought a well played 2006 Black CS 336 with Bare Knuckle Mules p/u's. Hasn't arrived yet but I'm looking forward to it.

Bob H.

Any Honeymoon impressions yet?[/QUOTE

Yes. It’s a wonderful guitar. Worn and played hard but great feel and sound. Needs a tune up, but excellent sounding, older Bare Knuckle Mules and upgraded RS Harness.
It gets that airy wood tone like a LP but more so.

d4a290d7-f742-4925-9b26-279b61b5c429
928fcfea-533e-4da2-98a5-84b98e04c7b5
0t4enNlJRSzsTJ_ZwU_gc2vjQ
e979a46a-1eb6-4df6-96cf-65a945d1eff5
1cb98c7e-3b0d-49ed-a0cf-559164b75368

Last edited: