• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NVGD: 1962 ES-355

david.beason

After selling my 335 recently, I started thinking that I've always preferred the overall vibe of the 355 (and 345 for that matter) over the 335 and remembered seeing a really rare and cool one on Rumble Seat Music's Instagram feed a few months ago. After a pretty good bit of back and forth with Tobin and Jeff, my wife and I took the day off and drove up to Nashville early this week so that I could check it out in person before taking the plunge. It was only my second time at Rumble Seat and like before, the whole staff there was really great. The guitar tech even took it in the back and adjusted some things for me after I asked about them and it made a big difference in how it played.

OjNRK73.jpg

Almost forgot to mention one of the coolest parts and honestly what drew me to this particular one. It's an uber-rare ebony block version. This is quite common on '62 Les Paul (SG) Standards and Customs, but almost unheard of on an ES. I was talking to Eliot about it and we were postulating that likely someone really liked the (then) new ebony blocks that were being put on the LP/SG and custom ordered one on this guitar. In digging around online, I can only find one more example (on es335.com talking about how rare it is).

It was advertised as having one PAF and one Patent Number pickup, so I was asking which was which and if there was any funny business regarding the stickers, etc. When the tech had it in the back, he took them out for me and noticed that they were both PAFs. I didn't complain. They sound fantastic individually, but are out of phase in the middle position. That's not my favorite sound, but I guess can give me the Peter Green thing if I want it and gives me something a little different tonally than the middle position of my '61 LP/SG Standard.

The varitone is a varitone. You know how that goes. I am able to get some great sounds on 1 (obviously), 2, and even 4 (with the neck pickup). One cool feature of this is that the varitone knob on these was also painted in gold to match the plate; however, a good amount of that has worn off from usage, so you just see the bare knob largely. For now, I'm just using my normal cable with a single amp and plugging it into the output jack just right (i.e., not all the way in) so that I can get both pickups engaged.

The neck feels great and is really worn in nicely. The binding has been rolled over the years so that you can see the fret markers from the front, which actually makes it feel really comfortable in your hand. The neck profile is on the thin side, but not as thin as my '61 LP/SG.

Spent some time last night getting it fully dialed in and I absolutely love it now. I had to flip some of the saddles (the treble strings) and still had to completely screw the G all the way back to get it intonated (with 10-48 and Eb), but it just did get there.

Yada, yada, yada... I took a bunch of pics. :)

iAEETJc.jpg

g2wbj3u.jpg

dG5PGIm.jpg

UzKWYZo.jpg

B3A49rC.jpg

nKkytLR.jpg

s4QbLIs.jpg

ZFyYLDu.jpg

Last edited:

Strings Jr.

Congrats! That's an amazing guitar.

I am also not a fan of the pickups being out-of-phase. The middle position (in-phase) is my favorite sound on just about any Gibson.
I guess if you can live with it, it's probably not worth removing the cover from one of the PAF's. If I had that guitar at my old repair bench at Gibson, I could fix that out-of-phase in about two minutes without taking any covers off.

david.beason

Congrats! That's an amazing guitar.

I am also not a fan of the pickups being out-of-phase. The middle position (in-phase) is my favorite sound on just about any Gibson.
I guess if you can live with it, it's probably not worth removing the cover from one of the PAF's. If I had that guitar at my old repair bench at Gibson, I could fix that out-of-phase in about two minutes without taking any covers off.

Thanks! Yeah, I think it's more of an issue of me not playing through the type of amp that it was designed for. I'm considering getting a GA-79RVT and playing it as it was intended. Maybe. :)

brandtkronholm

Great score. What an addition.

Awesome score! I saw it on the website and - wow, what a guitar! So very cool! :3zone

Embrace the OOP sound!
When in the middle position, a gentle turn of one or the other volume knobs will reduce the OOP sound and much funkiness will manifest.

Also, a stereo to Y-splitter cable will allow you to use two amps - or even one amp if it has two inputs. My favorite set-up is a stereo-to-Y-splitter into one channel of a (black/silver) Fender. This allows for the OOP sound. Plugging the two ends of the Y-splitter into different channels of a (black/silver) Fender puts the middle position back in phase.

For amps with one input there's a lovely solution: (Post #71 from the following thread: https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?203999-1960-ES-345-solution/page2)

Nothing too gnarly about the cosmetics:

3gqwV4Tl.jpg

It was explained to me that it "fools the guitar into thinking the signal is stereo" so you don't get certain bits of frequency summing/cancelling. Scott can explain it better than I if you shoot him an email, nice guy, quick shipping, great service, etc. I've used it again the past few days and oh I'm so glad I bought it, haha. The mono/stereo switch is for if you're plugging in the stereo guitar with TRS cable then if you want to switch to a regular guitar you can.

I have one of these boxes and it does the trick. (You'll still need a stereo cable and a mono cable.)

That 355 is just the bee's knees! :headbange

marshall1987

Thanks for sharing....and Congratulations! Your Ebony Block/Maestro-fitted 355 is exceptional. The REDs have it...simply stunning! :salude

I noted the distinctive purple-colored wrappings at the ball-end of the strings. Never seen these before. What strings did you put on it?

Perhaps it's the photos....but I don't see much wear on the frets. Has the guitar been refretted? Thanks. :2cool

david.beason

Thanks for sharing....and Congratulations! Your Ebony Block/Maestro-fitted 355 is exceptional. The REDs have it...simply stunning! :salude

I noted the distinctive purple-colored wrappings at the ball-end of the strings. Never seen these before. What strings did you put on it?

Perhaps it's the photos....but I don't see much wear on the frets. Has the guitar been refretted? Thanks. :2cool

Thanks! Those are Pyramid Max Performance 10-48 strings, which are my favorites on Gibsons.

The frets are in decent shape, but with the strings off, show some wear in the form of divots. No effect on the playability, thankfully.

RAB

Very cool and rare variant of a Golden Era 355! The Maestro tailpiece is almost like having a stop tail. Easier to change strings than with a Bigsby that’s for sure! Bet is sounds great! I’ve owned several vintage 355s including an uber rare 1963 mono stoptail. Also a mint ‘59 355 mono with double whites, huge neck profile. My current ES is a ‘59 “First Rack” 345, has a pair of unopened zebra PAFs that scream! A29822, FON S8538 34. Enjoy your new fiddle! RAB :peace2

P.S. I also use Pyramid strings, have for decades. Pure Nickel Nickel Classic 10-46...