• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Randy Rhoads ‘74 Les Paul Custom

CK6

Hi everyone, hope you are all doing well and staying safe!

Here’s a short clip of my RR Les Paul through a Marshall JMP 2203 on 5, single 4x12 cab and a TS9. I swapped out the pickups for some Wolfetone Marshallheads that I think sound killer. Anyone else have the RR Custom or a cream ‘74?

Cheers

Drayve85

FU$&?@G EPIC!!!

im assuming that it had T-tops in it before you put the Marshallheads in there: a)how did they sound (obviously something was missing) and b) what did you gain with the pickup swap? Just curious, I love hearing about that kinda stuff! Killer tone and chops, too!!:dude:

MacFangus

Editted to correct location:

Gibson made three '74 duplicates for Randy, that were going to be presented to him at Hard Rock Cafe; in cooperation with Guitar Center Hollywood. Gibson has #002 and #003... #001 was accidently sold to a customer at Guitar Center in Hollywood. How it made it onto the floor is anyone's guess. GC attempted to force a reverse sale, but the buyer stood his ground. His mother (who is a lawyer) informed them that a receipt is a legal contract of sale. The owner is on good terms with Gibson. I have pics, if anyone is interested? It looks like the Anniversary models, except for a custom made MOP #001 badge on the back of the headstock.

Last edited:

CK6

FU$&?@G EPIC!!!

im assuming that it had T-tops in it before you put the Marshallheads in there: a)how did they sound (obviously something was missing) and b) what did you gain with the pickup swap? Just curious, I love hearing about that kinda stuff! Killer tone and chops, too!!:dude:

Thank you! This was actually a Randy Rhoads Custom Shop model Les Paul (based on a ‘74), so it had either burstbuckers or custombuckers. I wasn’t too keen on the sound so I replaced them with Wolftone pickups as Gibson was not selling BB’s or they were unavailable at the time. Other modifications to the guitar include a refret with 6100 Dunlop frets, a sanded down neck to the wood (satin finish) and some other cosmetic items.

I have a 1977 black custom with T-tops and it sounds super cool, so I think I’m going to leave The WolfeTone pickups in this guitar.

Cheers and happy that you liked my playing!

CK6

Gibson made three '74 duplicates for Randy, that were going to be presented to him at Planet Hollywood; in cooperation with Guitar Center Hollywood. Gibson has #002 and #003... #001 was accidently sold to a customer at Guitar Center in Hollywood. How it made it onto the floor is anyone's guess. GC attempted to force a reverse sale, but the buyer stood his ground. His mother (who is a lawyer) informed them that a receipt is a legal contract of sale. The owner is on good terms with Gibson. I have pics, if anyone is interested? It looks like the Anniversary models, except for a custom made MOP #001 badge on the back of the headstock.

Interesting! I assume it’s an aged one? I just have the VOS version.

I always loved Cream Les Paul Customs so of course when Gibson came up with a Randy Rhoads model I had to have one. I didn’t have the knowledge that I have today, otherwise I would have purchased a 1974 custom.

MacFangus

Interesting! I assume it’s an aged one? I just have the VOS version.

I always loved Cream Les Paul Customs so of course when Gibson came up with a Randy Rhoads model I had to have one. I didn’t have the knowledge that I have today, otherwise I would have purchased a 1974 custom.
No equipment aging at all. I don't think faux aging was a thing in those days... but, if you're referring to the color, I can't be certain. I'd have to ask him if it was white when he purchased it. By the uniform coloration, I'm going to say that it was likely finished with amber nitro and/or paint.

MacFangus

Pics of Randy's Custom REG #001...

Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 11.28.17 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 11.28.37 AM.jpg

He purchased it for the same price as any production model LP Custom. Crazy! #001/#002/#003 were to be presented to Randy at a tour HRC Hollywood party. Sadly, Randy never made it. RIP

Last edited:

MacFangus

What year was this? Planet Hollywood was established much later than Randy’s passing.
Could have been HOB or some other venue. I haven't spoken to the owner in over 10 years, so details are sketchy. I believe he's a moderator on the Gibson Forum, or use to be. He said that Gibson offered various trades and payments, but he doesn't want to let go of it. Actually, I think he said it was the Hard Rock Cafe. I've corrected my previous posts to reflect the most likely venue.

Post a copy of the pics on the Gibson Forum... I'm sure someone will report. I have other pics, but I don't want to reveal his identity without his approval.

Last edited:

mrbeasty

Could have been HOB or some other venue. I haven't spoken to the owner in over 10 years, so details are sketchy. I believe he's a moderator on the Gibson Forum, or use to be. He said that Gibson offered various trades and payments, but he doesn't want to let go of it. Actually, I think he said it was the Hard Rock Cafe. I've corrected my previous posts to reflect the most likely venue.

Post a copy of the pics on the Gibson Forum... I'm sure someone will report. I have other pics, but I don't want to reveal his identity without his approval.

Just to be clear, you are saying that Gibson was going to give Randy a trio of Les Pauls sometime in 1982, but the event never got happen; and one of the guitars was accidentally sold?

Last edited:

MacFangus

Just to be clear, you are saying that Gibson was going to give Randy a trio of Les Pauls sometime in 1982, but the event never got happen; and one of the guitars was accidentally sold?
No. The owner of the guitar said it. I believe it was to be an end of tour party, though I can't be certain. He sold me the Mojave 4x12 that you see in the pic... That's how I met him. I needed it to mate with a Mojave "Dirty Boy" head. Gibson really wants the guitar back, so that they can have the complete set. I, of course, asked him if he would like to sell it to me. :)

I wonder... Would this be the first Gibson signature guitar(s) ever produced?