• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2018 Gibson 1958 reissue neck pickup weird static!

C_corie

Got it brand new (2019) from CME, worked great but arrived with a slightly loose neck pickup tone or volume control (I forget because the guitar is out for repair.)

A week ago It developed the strangest problem, I would have a static fuzz- in the background of the low E A D and sometimes G string on the neck pickup only.

According to the hang tags it has unpotted custombuckers.....

The tech is Gibson certified and a nice guy, him and his electronics friend couldn’t replicate the issue. I had tried the guitar into different amps with different cables. Same noise on neck pickup only.

He is going to shield the control covers and I’ll take the guitar back and see if it was some fluke thing or maybe happens in my temp/humidity controlled basement. He suggested I try going up a level on the house to make sure it’s not the outlets.

i just can’t figure out why it’s only 3-4 string and a static noise when played on the neck pickup, it seems to be a very specific problem.

Any ideas? Thanks

El Gringo

Got it brand new (2019) from CME, worked great but arrived with a slightly loose neck pickup tone or volume control (I forget because the guitar is out for repair.)

A week ago It developed the strangest problem, I would have a static fuzz- in the background of the low E A D and sometimes G string on the neck pickup only.

According to the hang tags it has unpotted custombuckers.....

The tech is Gibson certified and a nice guy, him and his electronics friend couldn’t replicate the issue. I had tried the guitar into different amps with different cables. Same noise on neck pickup only.

He is going to shield the control covers and I’ll take the guitar back and see if it was some fluke thing or maybe happens in my temp/humidity controlled basement. He suggested I try going up a level on the house to make sure it’s not the outlets.

i just can’t figure out why it’s only 3-4 string and a static noise when played on the neck pickup, it seems to be a very specific problem.

Any ideas? Thanks

I could be wrong but maybe a bad solder joint ?

axeman565758

I could be wrong but maybe a bad solder joint ?

thats what I was thinking.... and why are techs seemingly, always so quick to want to shield the control cavity?
Ive owned over 25 Fender CS and close to 40 Gibson Historics. I have not once needed to shield any of them because of noise.
IMO, that only masks the problem anyway. Pinpoint the issue and fix that.

C_corie

Gibson will be sending a replacement pickup/pot and the luthier will install and check it. I’m very happy with Gibson’s customer service and I have to say so far I think it’s been better than many other “big” companies.

Last edited: