• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Nylon 4/6 or 6/6?

Axelorox

What is the period correct nut material for 50s Les Pauls - 4/6 or 6/6 nylon? I have access to a 4/6 blank.

Gold Tone

Is this conclusive

Wasn’t it reported to be the much harder 4/6 in the 50’s?

The 50’s stuff was a tad grey and translucent looking at photos and my own stock 1957 Junior. All the Historics with 6/6 look opaque and white...looks like different nylon. Not quite as hard either

Zinc Alloy

Is this conclusive

Wasn’t it reported to be the much harder 4/6 in the 50’s?

The 50’s stuff was a tad grey and translucent looking at photos and my own stock 1957 Junior. All the Historics with 6/6 look opaque and white...looks like different nylon. Not quite as hard either

Certainly not. 4/6 wasn't even available until the late 80's.

Apparently some vintage Gibson nuts may be made of melamine resin: https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/vintage-nuts-please.240898/page-3

Gold Tone

Not sure what you mean? That article states that nylon 4/6 was not commercially produced until the 1980's

Ah, yes, thank you

I’m wrong...yes 80’s

Thank you for correction. I hate bad info and I am propagating it

Sorry folks 😐